SDR has clear strong signal, 2 Meter ham rig has bad signal using same antenna

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
KM4OVZ

SDR has clear strong signal, 2 Meter ham rig has bad signal using same antenna

Post by KM4OVZ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm

I have an RTL SDR and a Kenwood tr 7400a 2 meter ham radio. Using the same antenna in the same location, the SDR gets a clear full quieting strong reception of my local 2 meter repeater. The ham rig gets a low, bad, staticy reception but good full quieting transmission into the repeater. The gain on the SDR is at full +49db. How can I made the ham radio get the same reception as the SDR? I cannot adjust the gain on the ham radio I don't think.

alanzfq

Re: SDR has clear strong signal, 2 Meter ham rig has bad signal using same antenna

Post by alanzfq » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 pm

My first thought is that your TR7400 is faulty.
It would be the first time a RTL was better than a good proper radio.
Alan

snn47

Re: SDR has clear strong signal, 2 Meter ham rig has bad signal using same antenna

Post by snn47 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 am

Always check the transmission line (cable, switches and ...) first.

Did you check for faulty distribution, meaning exchange the two receiver, connecting the TR-7400 to the cable you used for the SDR and the SDR to cable previously used by the TR-7400?

nospam

Post by nospam » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Besides possible antenna connection problems something could have blown out the front end receive transistor/fet of your handy talky. I would think even the lowly uv5r would have a better receiver than a dongle.

KM4OVZ

Post by KM4OVZ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks for the replies! It turned out to be my radio was out of calibration. See, my radio is over 50 years old. it has these little components with screwdriver slots on them. I adjusted the ones that deal with reception. As it turned out, the radio was off by about 5khz. Fixing that fixed my reception as well as moving the antenna outdoors also got me great reception.