Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Streets814

Re: Feedback on possible KerberosSDR V2 Hardware

Post by Streets814 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 am

awdmesh wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 am
You guys familiar with the rashawk?

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/signal-directio ... k/rashawk/

In all honesty I recall getting in touch with those people and it never really worked, but essentially what I’m doing with the current Kerberos setup is using mapping software and plotting stationary pis/Kerberos setups with the gps location of where it’s setting and networking back the DOA information in order to plot lobs on a map, my thinking is if I have the array positioned correctly the lobs and bearings should match the map data in correct relation to headings and thus giving me intersections. Say all that to say,

- keep usb power as the use of battery packs make it easy to set them up in remote locations

- add more software to the pi or built into the Kerberos that helps average the lines of bearing when the Kerberos is stationary and dfing

- if you were to build in WiFi, maybe have the ability for the Kerberos to “mesh” forming a closed mesh network of dfing hardware without requiring a cellular network

This is almost identical to what my end goal is as well. I would like to have a handful of kerberossdr at various locations on a network and use a mapper like rdfmapper that is always on with maybe one mobile unit.

If you are looking for a way to network them together so they are on the same network and you are a ham look into AREDN. It is a wifi mesh network that uses wifi spectrum with the availability to use amateur radio frequencies to avoid all the noise from commercially used frequencies.

If all works out I can create a mesh though the city with a Kerberos at each node that can be remotely controlled relaying mapping back home on the same network.
Last edited by Streets814 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 pm

I’m using a mapping program already but this is exciting news and I’ll give that program a try. I think I have my antenna array setup correctly based on your previous answer so long as I position antenna 1 north and arrange antenna 2, 3, and 4 according to the circular array diagram in the quick start guide then my bearings being pushed to the mapping program should be correct in relation to the bearing overlaid onto the mapping program. Still have to setup a transmitter and do further testing. I’m curious what the scripts are going to do for the mapping program you mention. Thanks!

@streets814 thanks for the info on ham. I’ll look into that as well.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

@streets814

Thanks for the AREDN tip! I’ve got a bunch of glinet routers that I’ll try this out on. Funny thing, it’s like full circle, back in 2008 I was making stuff using open-mesh along with a dashboard (https://github.com/alphafox02) that controlled all the equipment. We should essentially do the same thing with a cloud dash that can configure/control the mesh and the Kerberos devices feeding a separate mapping program until ultimately it’s all combined together!!

myke

Post by myke » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 am

I certainly hope there is a V2, V3, V4 ..... and I will support that effort - I like new toys :-) . This is an awesome project and I hope it somehow prospers you rtlsdrblog!!

Does seem like conversation here has drifted a little off topic - SO, I'll add to that :lol: I understand remote location and challenges in getting a network connection, but for those locations that have internet wired and wireless how about incorporating 'Wireguard' .... I have been meaning to activate my wireguard client on my phone acting as HOTSPOT for Kerberos & Pi - It is a fast and thin VPN -- as long as the host of the vpn has ample bandwidth to pass traffic of multiple sites, this would seem like an easy interconnecting solution....

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 pm

myke wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 am
I certainly hope there is a V2, V3, V4 ..... and I will support that effort - I like new toys :-) . This is an awesome project and I hope it somehow prospers you rtlsdrblog!!

Does seem like conversation here has drifted a little off topic - SO, I'll add to that :lol: I understand remote location and challenges in getting a network connection, but for those locations that have internet wired and wireless how about incorporating 'Wireguard' .... I have been meaning to activate my wireguard client on my phone acting as HOTSPOT for Kerberos & Pi - It is a fast and thin VPN -- as long as the host of the vpn has ample bandwidth to pass traffic of multiple sites, this would seem like an easy interconnecting solution....
I feel like VPN choice will be a highly debated topic. There are a lot of options, people are into different pieces of software. Personally, I like OpenVPN. This could become just as intense as the vi vs emacs wars.

myke

Post by myke » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:10 pm

I feel like VPN choice will be a highly debated topic. There are a lot of options, people are into different pieces of software. Personally, I like OpenVPN. This could become just as intense as the vi vs emacs wars.

Ah! but they will quickly come to their senses and chose Wireguard and those vi & emac clowns will stop once they discover nano!

WA4OSH

Post by WA4OSH » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 am

In the initial AUGUST 14, 2018 article entitled "KERBEROSSDR PREVIEW: A 4X COHERENT RTL-SDR FOR DIRECTION FINDING, PASSIVE RADAR AND MORE" you said that "Over the last few months we've been working on a 4-input coherent RTL-SDR called 'KerberosSDR' (formerly known as HydraSDR) that is designed to be a low cost way to get into applications such as RF direction finding, passive radar, beam forming and more. It can also be used as a standard 4-channel SDR for monitoring multiple frequencies as well." ... "We plan to eventually release Tamás' code as open source so that the entire community can benefit and build on it. Also if KerberosSDR turns a profit, we plan to reinvest some of the profits into continually improving the software and expanding the list of use cases."

I would love to see the use cases expanded past these two demos:
RF direction finding
Passive radar

These two have already been given, but not explored yet:
o Four-channel SDR - can monitor four bands at once? Can we construct a low-cost high-performance signal intercept, acquisition and monitoring receiver?

o Receive beam-forming

Here's some more ideas:
o Multipath and interference immunity for receivers - actively receive an interfering signal and remove it

o Super-broadband receiver - Like stitching a picture together to form a wide angle, can we stitch together RF?Can we monitor and find Ultra-Wideband signals?

Additional features so that the platform can be opened-up for experimenting
Block diagrams and interfaces better documented
Release the Tamas code as open source
GNU Radio Companion integration
Matlab Integration

Once you have nailed-down what the goals are of the next-generation low-cost multiple channel phase-coherent SDR receiver, you can state the requirements.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:51 pm

*allow all four radios to sweep for specific frequencies while simultaneously pushing the info back over a network to a central server that’s designed to monitor stationary positions for such things as commercial drones (include say the “crazy radio 2.4” to expand the range).

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks, some replies below:
WA4OSH wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 am
In the initial AUGUST 14, 2018 article entitled "KERBEROSSDR PREVIEW: A 4X COHERENT RTL-SDR FOR DIRECTION FINDING, PASSIVE RADAR AND MORE" you said that "Over the last few months we've been working on a 4-input coherent RTL-SDR called 'KerberosSDR' (formerly known as HydraSDR) that is designed to be a low cost way to get into applications such as RF direction finding, passive radar, beam forming and more. It can also be used as a standard 4-channel SDR for monitoring multiple frequencies as well." ... "We plan to eventually release Tamás' code as open source so that the entire community can benefit and build on it. Also if KerberosSDR turns a profit, we plan to reinvest some of the profits into continually improving the software and expanding the list of use cases."

I would love to see the use cases expanded past these two demos:
RF direction finding
Passive radar

These two have already been given, but not explored yet:
o Four-channel SDR - can monitor four bands at once? Can we construct a low-cost high-performance signal intercept, acquisition and monitoring receiver?

The KerberosSDR can already act as 4 normal RTL-SDRs without problem. So any multi-dongle monitoring that you'd do with 4 individual RTL-SDRs could be applied to the KerberosSDR already.

o Receive beam-forming

Definitely aiming to support this too. Most of the code is already there from Tamas, it would just need the final code and testing

Here's some more ideas:
o Multipath and interference immunity for receivers - actively receive an interfering signal and remove it

Good idea, something to experiment with in the code

o Super-broadband receiver - Like stitching a picture together to form a wide angle, can we stitch together RF?Can we monitor and find Ultra-Wideband signals?

Quadrupling the ~2.56 MHz max bandwidth of a single RTL-SDR should be possible. But still only max 10.24 MHz then, not exactly ultra-wideband.

Additional features so that the platform can be opened-up for experimenting
Block diagrams and interfaces better documented
Release the Tamas code as open source
GNU Radio Companion integration
Matlab Integration

Documentation will definitely be improved too. I'm not ready to commit to full documentation just yet, because things are changing very quickly, but by the time V2 rolls around everything should be stable enough to document fully

Tamas' code is already released, https://github.com/rtlsdrblog/kerberossdr, and his pyAPRIL and pyARGUS are released open source on pypi

Tamas is working on a new code version now that should make integrating GNU Radio + Matlab much easier, as we'll be able to get a TCP stream of the data

Once you have nailed-down what the goals are of the next-generation low-cost multiple channel phase-coherent SDR receiver, you can state the requirements.

radioMatt

Post by radioMatt » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:11 am

Whats the prospective timeline on a V2?