Android app crash

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Android app crash

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:43 am

I think I found the bug, will be uploading a new version shortly.

The file opening just uses whatever file management app is installed on your system.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:27 am

New version should be up now, can you confirm if it fixes the problem? On the simulator at least it seems to be fixed for the Nexus 10.

AE6EO

Post by AE6EO » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:07 pm

"Alas, there was no joy in Mudville... mighty Casey still struck out."

The failure symptoms are different but it still does not work. Problems still exist on Nexus 10 and on Moto G6.

"Plot Bearings" no longer crashes, but it puts up an onscreen error message saying that it got a read-only-filesystem error when trying to read a CSV file. Oddly, it worked correctly once on the Moto, but then started throwing this error on subsequent attempts. On the Nexus 10 it always reports this error. Maybe an uninitialized variable somewhere?

"Plot grid and heat map" consistently crashes, on both devices. On the Nexus 10 the feedback backtrace has changed... it's now crashing due to an attempt to install a background handler in a thread which hadn't been properly prepared with Looper. Feedback reports sent from both devices.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 am

Hmm can't replicate the error now on any simulator, on any API version.

Are you storing the logfiles in the Downloads/KerberosSDR folder created by the KerberosSDR itself? Or did you create a new folder by yourself?

Did you copy the csv file over to the SDcard or internal storage?

When you open the file (with plot options turned off), what file path name is shown in the bottom left of the app?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:55 pm

I uploaded a beta version to the Play store that opens files in a different way, if you get a chance can you please test that beta? Thanks.

AE6EO

Post by AE6EO » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:45 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 am
Hmm can't replicate the error now on any simulator, on any API version.

Are you storing the logfiles in the Downloads/KerberosSDR folder created by the KerberosSDR itself? Or did you create a new folder by yourself?

Did you copy the csv file over to the SDcard or internal storage?

When you open the file (with plot options turned off), what file path name is shown in the bottom left of the app?
I'm storing the files in the Downloads/KerberosSDR folder create by the app itself... in fact on the Nexus 10 those files were created there by the app itself and I haven't altered or moved them.

When I copy then from one tablet to another I store them directly into that folder... not trying to open them from another location.

The path info displayed on screen is just the filename itself... no directory information is shown.

As to the new beta version... it's not showing up for me in the Play Store... still on the last general release you did a couple of days ago. Do I need to join my account to a beta program for this app, somehow?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 am

The beta should be up soon, apparently it takes a few hours to update. I've uploaded it as an open beta so anyone can try it.

Direct Link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... imebearing

The beta version is exactly the same as the production version, but uses a different way of accessing files internally, which might be better for some versions of Android on some phones.

Okay that's normal that it just shows the file name. If it had extra directory info there, or something with a colon, it would mean that there might be a problem with accessing the file.

myke

Post by myke » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:19 am

My last look into opening log files that were not in the Downloads/KerberosSDR of course crashed. .... but when I was exploring Android App Crash logs, they indicated a permission problem, but made no sense because the folders and files had the same permissions of the same owner???? For Info - I was using 'adb logcat AndroidRuntime:E *:S' to retrieve App Crash Log. Running Android 8.1 --- have not tested with version 2.41

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:04 am

myke wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:19 am
My last look into opening log files that were not in the Downloads/KerberosSDR of course crashed. .... but when I was exploring Android App Crash logs, they indicated a permission problem, but made no sense because the folders and files had the same permissions of the same owner???? For Info - I was using 'adb logcat AndroidRuntime:E *:S' to retrieve App Crash Log. Running Android 8.1 --- have not tested with version 2.41
Can you please try and test with the beta too? This may be fixed for that problem too.

AE6EO

Post by AE6EO » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:44 am

Now, that's a different kettle of fish entirely!
  1. Immediately after installing the new version, the two "Plot" checkboxes had the same bad effects as before - either a read-only-filesystem error or a crash.
  2. I then re-launched the app, used "Open log file", and navigated to one of my .csv files in the Downloads/KerberosSDR/ folder.
  3. Once I had done so, "Plot log file" successfully plots the bearings, and "Plot grid and heat map" works as expected.
  4. This works on my Nexus 10, Nexus 7, and Moto G6.
  5. On all of these devices, the file-opening dialog no longer gives me the ability to use the file-management apps I have installed (Total Commander or File Manager or both). It seems to require the use of only the native built-in file navigation code for whatever version of Android I'm running. Each device seems to have a different way of navigating to the "root of all storage" and then down to the Downloads directories. They all work, though, in one way or another.
  6. The on-screen display for the log file name sometimes include the path, and sometimes not... seems to depend on which device and which version of Android is running.
So, the file-opening (or file-selection) method does seem to be a key to the problem.

And, the change doesn't seem to be effective until one actually selects a file using the new API... when I launched the new app, and the selection was still one "hanging around" from the previous version of the app, the plotting commands still didn't work. Once I selected a file using the new app, everything worked.

Thanks for digging into this!