ADS-B - dump1090 install - Which one???? NOT a PI!

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Flexme

ADS-B - dump1090 install - Which one???? NOT a PI!

Post by Flexme » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:30 am

I do projects in steps and with very precise "cuts/steps" to achieve and end goal.....

Get things working... step by step.. and move on.. then optimize the step...

Ultimately I have a goal for my setup...

Step one has been achived...

I've taken the bundle deal with the 1090 optimzied dongle and antenna.. plopped it outside... and turned rtl_adsb loose... its been spitting out data for hours with ease... OK... Good.... step one completed...

To get something of more use to see what the data is I am getting v. the RAW from rtl_adsb or even the verbose mode which just shows data time, and some simple data decodes, but nothing like lat/long...

So lets add dump1090 to things to see this data is doing...

I've read much about the versions of dump1090 and all the drama between it its creator, authors, and various other stuff.. and right now I am not interested in feeding anything outside my system... future.... maybe... thats a dicussion for a different day...

What I am after for now is step 2...

dump1090

After looking over all the versions of this thing.. the noise has drowned out the signal on which version, which instructions etc. to follow..

I just want dump1090 to put on my desktops to see what all I can do...

NOTE 1: This is NOT A PI!

NOTE 2: This is LINUX ONLY! mostly xubuntu 18.04 (14.04, 16.04, and 20.04 beta are around as well).. This is a Linux only environment!

NOTE 3: I am NOT FEEDING data to any place at this time, FUTURE I might.. For now.. I just want to see DECODED data on my screen (CLI) or in step 3 a map with data (This needs to take heed of NOTE2!)

So cutting to tl;dr

What is the CURRENT dump1090 git to clone, and install for xubuntu 18.04 (12.04,14.04,16.04,20.04beta) to run dump1090 locally and see decoded data????? And which instructions.....

Again.. no feeding is occurring right now.. and may not feed to any one I have my own personal goal in mind on that front.. thats numerous steps down the line.....

Too many branches some seem outdated, all seem to be caught up in a bunch of drama on things..... All of this left my brain spinning .....

So... point me to the CURRENT github to clone, and the make / make install commands for it.

Thanks..

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: ADS-B - dump1090 install - Which one???? NOT a PI!

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 pm

The most active recently is probably the FLightAware branch https://github.com/flightaware/dump1090.

I think you can run it just fine without needing to actually feed anything.