Getting Started Guide Needed

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Dougga

Getting Started Guide Needed

Post by Dougga » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 am

It seems this is a forum for Single Board Computer nerds. There seems to be no awareness that there are people who do not spend weeks at a time taking apart old televisions and microwave ovens for parts for their maker projects.

Specifically, there appears to be no article explaining basic use for the board. Everything referencing the word "tutotial" is just some 40-something male running around with a fully operable device and the whole video is showing how neat the maps and little red lines are. This is not what the word "tutorial" means. Is there anyone in the group who has completed a college degree and thus can write an actual tutorial on how the Kerberos gadget functions:
For Example, here are possible topics:
- How to turn it on.
- How one knows that it's on.
- The existing documentation indicates what is required is a micro USB source that provides 3A of power. I have never heard of a micro USB power source that provides that much power in a single port. Current standards are 1.xA and 2.4A I believe. What are these high-power micro USB interfaces called. What is the name of the standard that supports 3A. Where does one get one Can you provide a link to a product at supports these requirements?
- How to connect to the device.
- Since you can't connect a screen and keyboard directly to the device, what are the requirements (hardware and software) to connect to and interact with the device
- How to determine which image is currently running
- How to image a device that you can't access
- How to upgrade the current image
- What to do if an image is corrupted
- How to access, install, and run all of the applications that are shown in the various non-tutorials.
- There is a Kerberos SDR app on the Google Play Store. Who developed this? Is it officially sanction by this group? How does this app work. Are there tutorials for it?

Thanks

ckoval7

Re: Getting Started Guide Needed

Post by ckoval7 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:26 am

Have you read this guide? Skip past the videos at the top of the page and read the text. A lot of this is still in the development phase, and is not ready for the average consumer to pick it up and start getting LOBs. It requires a certain level of knowledge involving Linux, SDR, and radio in general.

From your other posts, you're under the false assumption that this device operates independently. I recommend using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ or 4. Really, and computer running linux will do.

As for the 3A, you can get away perfectly fine with 2.4A and a good quality USB cable. I use a battery pack meant for charging phones.

The android app is official and was written by the developers of the KSDR. It still requires a computer (Raspberry Pi or otherwise) hooked up to the KSDR.

myke

Post by myke » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:12 am

Dougga, the link provided is the best info, but sounds like you are at a starting point to write that documentation as you compile answers to those questions! Certainly not me.... been 15+ years since I was 40 something - in fact so long since I graduated my college degree probably expired my now :lol: I look forward to your instructions on how to turn this thing on!! Using that 'Search' box in this forum is good too! :D

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 am

www.rtl-sdr.com/ksdr is the guide.

This is a fairly complex project that we fully admit is not "plug and play". You'll need various skills and an experimenters/researcher attitude to get going. Over time we hope to make everything easier, but it takes time for the code to evolve on a new project.

The videos give you an overview of what you can do with it. But the guide shows you the set up steps.

If you have feedback on the guide please post, but we can't also teach the basics of burning images and running SBCs etc on the guide or it will be huge.

Dougga

Post by Dougga » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 pm

I am a retired network engineer and enterprise support consultant. My experience and technical abilities are adequate for most maker projects. I have developed teams to support absurdly complex systems. This project is trivial in comparison. The problem is there appears to be no one with the skills required to write anything resembling documentation. As so many current project teams, you appear to be working in a post-literate mode where producing widgets is paramount and explaining, in writing, how to use them is beneath you. This is a recipe for absolute failure if you had any intentions to make money with this.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 am

Dougga wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 pm
I am a retired network engineer and enterprise support consultant. My experience and technical abilities are adequate for most maker projects. I have developed teams to support absurdly complex systems. This project is trivial in comparison. The problem is there appears to be no one with the skills required to write anything resembling documentation. As so many current project teams, you appear to be working in a post-literate mode where producing widgets is paramount and explaining, in writing, how to use them is beneath you. This is a recipe for absolute failure if you had any intentions to make money with this.
This is an exploratory project, we're not really trying to make money with this yet, everything gets reinvested into the next iteration and creating free software. The goal for now is simply to provide a super cheap platform for coherent experimentation, and push open source coherent software & knowledge forward. Eventually we'll have a "plug and play" system, but more work is still required.

If you let me know exactly what you're having trouble with on https://www.rtl-sdr.com/ksdr/ we can certainly help, but all the questions you asked are explained in the guide. I believe that the documentation is sufficient for getting up and running, as we've already seen multiple people running their own units just fine.

This part from the guide explains the high level steps needed for our recommended use on a SBC:

Single Board Computer (SBC) Quickstart

1. Burn SD Card and insert into SBC (or flash eMMC).
2. Plug KerberosSDR into SBC, and connected the KerberosSDR's power cable.
3. On your Android device create a Mobile Hotspot with username/password "KerberosAndroid" on your phone.
4. Turn on your SBC, and wait a couple of minutes for it to boot and connect.
5. Check your Android Mobile Hotspot settings for the connected devices, and get the IP address.
6. Enter the address for web control (IP_ADDR:8080/init) in a browser or in the app.
7. Go through configure and sync steps described further below.

Answers to your questions below:

- How to turn it on.

Plug in power to the KerberosSDR power port, and turn on your SBC.

- How one knows that it's on.

LEDs and the WiFi hotspot from your SBC.

- The existing documentation indicates what is required is a micro USB source that provides 3A of power. I have never heard of a micro USB power source that provides that much power in a single port. Current standards are 1.xA and 2.4A I believe. What are these high-power micro USB interfaces called. What is the name of the standard that supports 3A. Where does one get one Can you provide a link to a product at supports these requirements?

I admit, 3A may be overkill. Just use an official supply that doesn't current limit your SBC of choice, and for the KerberosSDR a high quality 2A supply is more than sufficient.

- How to connect to the device.

Default IP addresses are shown in the guide.

- Since you can't connect a screen and keyboard directly to the device, what are the requirements (hardware and software) to connect to and interact with the device

Use either VNC for direct control, or the web interface. But you can connect a screen and keyboard to your SBC should you prefer.

- How to determine which image is currently running

You'll know from which image version you downloaded and installed.

- How to image a device that you can't access

You need to have access to the SBC to insert the burned SD card. You can't remotely burn an SD card while inserted into the SBC.

- How to upgrade the current image

Burn the new image to the SD Card.

- What to do if an image is corrupted

I'm not sure why it would be corrupted, but if so, just reburn the image.

- How to access, install, and run all of the applications that are shown in the various non-tutorials.

Best to use the pre-made images as that already contains the server DSP software. You can try running on a PC by following the installation notes on the guide.

- There is a Kerberos SDR app on the Google Play Store. Who developed this? Is it officially sanction by this group? How does this app work. Are there tutorials for it?

We developed it for direction finding. It's only for direction finding and doesn't connect to the KerberosSDR directly. It simply reads the bearings generated by the KerberosSDR software running on the SBC over WiFi, and plots and creates heatmaps.

WA4OSH

Post by WA4OSH » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:27 pm

I think the Single Board Computer (SBC) Quickstart is very confusing. It' needs a re-write.

1. Burn SD Card and insert into SBC (or flash eMMC).
2. Plug KerberosSDR into SBC, and connected the KerberosSDR's power cable.
(The video shows this, but rushes through the steps)

The order is important here:
a) Connect the antennas
b) Connect a charge-sync cable from the Raspberry PI (USB-A) to the KereberosSDR left-hand side connector (MiniB)
c) Power-up the KerberosSDR using a 3Amp+ USB supply into the power supply connector (MiniB)

3. On your Android device create a Mobile Hotspot with username/password "KerberosAndroid" on your phone.
The Raspberry Pi has the Mobile Hotspot. The Android application simply connects to it.

4. Turn on your SBC, and wait a couple of minutes for it to boot and connect.
d) Power-up the Raspberry Pi with a 3Amp+ USB supply into its power supply connector (MiniB RPI3 or USB-C RPI4)

5. Check your Android Mobile Hotspot settings for the connected devices, and get the IP address.
Again, the RPI is the hotspot. The android phone or laptop is the client.

6. Enter the address for web control (IP_ADDR:8080/init) in a browser or in the app.

7. Go through configure and sync steps described further below.
These steps need to be detailed.

I'll be happy to re-write the Quick Start guide
--Konrad, WA4OSH

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:52 am

3 and 5 are incorrect. With the method you are describing Android is the hotspot and the pi is the client, that’s why you’re having to look for the pis address in the list of connected clients on your phone. The only way the pi is the hotspot is if there’s not android or whatever configured with the SSID and password, then the pi itself proceeds to setup its own hotspot that you can connect to with anything and access its settings page, compass, etc etc. Just clearing that up.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 am

Yep the old method was to use the hotspot generated by the Pi.

But with the latest Android app needing an internet connection to use the turn by turn feature, the new recommended way is to create the hotspot on the phone itself, so that internet is available on the phone. This way is also easier, since you don't need to download maps offline first before setting off.

The Pi will still generate a hotspot by itself if it can't find the KerberosAndroid hotspot from the Android phone on boot.

WA4OSH

Post by WA4OSH » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:18 pm

That all makes sense now. Thanks.

I can configure my cellphone hotspot to use my home network SSID. When I'm out mobile, the RPI will associate with my phone. When I'm doing stuff at home, the RPI will associate with my home network SSID, allowing me to add additional software packages onto the RPI, and allow my Linux/Window laptops to talk to the PI.

--Konrad, WA4OSH