Help... no sign of basic function

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Dougga

Help... no sign of basic function

Post by Dougga » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:54 am

The manufacturer has removed the USB-C port so it's not clear if the required 3A is even possible using the micro USB port.

I have plugged it into a battery source and there's a faint white light coming from inside the unit near the microUSB port. I can find no other operable function. Scanning Wifi frequencies' there no Wifi activity coming from the device. Scanning Bluetooth frequencies finds the same. I appear to have a dead unit or it requires more power than the micro USB port specs can offer.

Has anyone gotten this thing working since they removed the USB-C port?

Dougga

Re: Help... no sign of basic function

Post by Dougga » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 am

I found the power specs on USB. It seems there is adequate power in the spec. That's interesting.

Power Delivery 1.0 Micro-USB 3 A 20 V 60 W
Power Delivery 1.0 Type-A/B 5 A 20 V 100 W
Power Delivery 2.0/3.0 Type-C[e] 5 A 20 V 100 W

dg9bew

Post by dg9bew » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 am

Do you have a Raspberry or any other computer connected? The KerberosSDR itself does not have wifi or bluetooth...
The USB port for power does not really follow any USB specification, it's just a convenient plug...

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:24 am

A 3A port is only required if you're running at powering the device via your PC. USB3.0 ports can typically handle the entire power requirements of the KerberosSDR.

If you're running it on a single board computer like a Pi3/4/Tinkerboard, then you'll need a secondary power supply to power the KerberosSDR itself, as SBC USB ports cannot provide enough current.