Phones/devices that work with the app

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Pope87

Phones/devices that work with the app

Post by Pope87 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 am

What phones or android devices are compatible with the app? I recently attempted to download it on an old Samsung s5 I had but it says it’s not compatible. I wouldn’t mind spending some money on a cheap android tablet if they work.

Username

Re: Phones/devices that work with the app

Post by Username » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm

with the app
Which?
on a cheap android tablet
the will not work.
Cheap = under powered = not a good idea

I would buy a Laptop insted where you can run win, linux,...

AE6EO

Post by AE6EO » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:12 pm

The current version of the Android app seems to be compatible with Android 6 and later versions.

I've run it on a couple of older tablets running LineageOS: a Nexus 10 (LineageOS based on Android 6.0.1) and a Nexus 7 (LineageOS based on Android 7.1.2). It also installs and runs OK on a Nexus 5x phone (LineageOS based on Android 8).

So, in terms of Android compatibility, a tablet which came with (or has been upgraded to) Android 6 (Marshmallow) or later should work.

There are still some cheap tablets on the market which come with KitKat (Android 4) or Lollipop (Android 5) and don't support later versions. I would avoid these... I don't think they'll accept the app as they won't meet its minimum API level requirement.

Unfortunately the LineageOS builds for Android 6 are no longer available (and I think that Android 7 may also be gone) so updating older tablets that way may no longer be possible, unless you download the old LineageOS repo and build an image yourself.

The KerberosSDR server can run on a laptop, but the friendly user app with its mapping capabilities requires Android. I suppose it might be possible to run the app under the PC-based Android emulator that Google provides for Android development purposes, but that's scarcely a plug&play sort of install!

Pope87

Post by Pope87 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Username wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm
with the app
Which?
on a cheap android tablet
the will not work.
Cheap = under powered = not a good idea

I would buy a Laptop insted where you can run win, linux,...
The app a subtle on the google play store. I have a laptop that’s dual booted for both windows and Linux but would like to test out the heat map function that the app offers

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:53 am

The app really benefits some a somewhat modern device since the plotting and calculations required to handle multiple points collected over an hour can get intense.

In my testing I use a Galaxy S8 which works perfectly.

myke

Post by myke » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Moto G5 plus and up is working pretty good for me. Actually, this G line of Moto phone is surprisingly inexpensive and the G5 is left at Android 8.1 ....you should be able to find one for $50 to $75 .... Willing to invest a little more .... look at G6 ....G7 will be around $200 buck in time for Christmas!!!