connection refused and different ip address

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
ka0ies

connection refused and different ip address

Post by ka0ies » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:46 am

Hi, I have attempted to connect to the raspberry pi via a wifi connection and have found that the apparent address of the wifi server is 192.168.4.5. If I try on the 192.168.4.1 address the link does not get made because it is timed out. If I use the 192.168.4.5 I get a much more rapid result with a "connection refused" message.

I am not certain what I am doing wrong but I have down loaded the latest firmware that is intended for operation with the raspberry pi 4 and I have the latest android app from the android store as of tonight.

I have tried to append the 8080 and 8081 port designations to the IP address and still get the connection refused message at 192.168.4.5.

Obviously there is something I am missing in the procedures that should be easier to find. Can anyone point this old codger in the correct direction please?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: connection refused and different ip address

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:48 am

Did you connect to the WiFi hotspot generated by the Pi4 first?

If you're using the Android App, it's better to create a hotspot via your Android device instead of using the one generated by the Pi4. To do that, just create a hotspot with username/password : KerberosAndroid/KerberosAndroid, and when the Pi4 boots up it should automatically connect to the Android.

Then you can check the IP address in the Android mobile hotspot settings.

ka0ies

Post by ka0ies » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 am

After doing as suggested with the hotspot on the phone I was still frustrated as I could not figure out what the address of the hotspot was. My tool to determine addresses on the wifi was gone when I turned on the hotspot. Grumble grumble ratsafrats consarned shuckydurn.

I looked at the available networks that were in the area with my laptop though and found out that I could join the KerberosAndroid network with the laptop. Then with a few of the inbuilt tools in the OS of the laptop I determined the network was 192.168.43.XXX But the Raspberry pi had not gotten the fist slot in the address range. Instead it got 192.168.43.91. I found two addresses other than the laptop. So I tried them both and when I hit the right one I got the screens that I needed to do the control and initialization of the software on the pi.

Next time when I turn the pi and the hot spot on, will they remember the same addresses or will I have to go through all this discovery again with a laptop to get things running?

Thanks again for telling me that I needed to get the phones hotspot up and running. That was a big help for getting me to where I am now.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 am

ka0ies wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 am
After doing as suggested with the hotspot on the phone I was still frustrated as I could not figure out what the address of the hotspot was. My tool to determine addresses on the wifi was gone when I turned on the hotspot. Grumble grumble ratsafrats consarned shuckydurn.

I looked at the available networks that were in the area with my laptop though and found out that I could join the KerberosAndroid network with the laptop. Then with a few of the inbuilt tools in the OS of the laptop I determined the network was 192.168.43.XXX But the Raspberry pi had not gotten the fist slot in the address range. Instead it got 192.168.43.91. I found two addresses other than the laptop. So I tried them both and when I hit the right one I got the screens that I needed to do the control and initialization of the software on the pi.

Next time when I turn the pi and the hot spot on, will they remember the same addresses or will I have to go through all this discovery again with a laptop to get things running?

Thanks again for telling me that I needed to get the phones hotspot up and running. That was a big help for getting me to where I am now.
Your phone doesn't have a place where you can see all the connected devices and IP addresses of those connected devices? I believe someone reported the same thing for their Android 10 phone (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5056), and another user suggested using an Terminal Emulator app (maybe https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroidterm), and using the command "ip neigh".

That should display the IP addresses of the connected devices.

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Neither Android 9 nor 10 will show you information about connected clients anymore. I'm not sure why they removed that function, but I guess for the average parent trying to give wifi to their kid's tablets on the road, that's just useless information.