time stamp signal appearing possible?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
rrrRbert360

time stamp signal appearing possible?

Post by rrrRbert360 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am

Being a rookie on RTL-SDR I am amazed by its possibilities. :roll:
I wonder if it possible to time stamp presence of a signal on a particular frequency?
I'm looking for solution for the following challenge:

Sometimes a signal appears on a specific frequency.
I simply want to monitor this and time-log the start&stop of a broadband signal.
There is no need to demodulate, store etc the signal itself.
The signal will always be the same level.

The most simple solution would be time-logging the squelch opening&closing and store this in a file.
Is that possible?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :idea: !

aurgathor

Re: time stamp signal appearing possible?

Post by aurgathor » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:06 am

Can you program well enough to write your own SW, possibly using GNU Radio?
If so, it should most likely to be possible, but sorry, I can't tell you how since I haven't used it for quite a while.

rrrRbert360

Post by rrrRbert360 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 am

Thank you so much aurgathor for replying! I guess I can program enough when I find a hello world example. Because in this case we don;t have any demodulation (only power in a channel) it must be feasible. I looked around a lot to see if there are any any up-to-date examples for Win10 and RTL but I could not find anything to kickstart. While ago I wrote lot C, assembler (SSTV, RTTY decoding from scratch)and 'recently' shared this one: https://github.com/rrrRbert360/SmartBirdHouse
If there's a hello tutorial I will accelerate and create. Thanks for guiding to code/examples!
Hello Radio, Hello rtl-sdr Forum!
_._

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 pm

rrrRbert360 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 am
Thank you so much aurgathor for replying! I guess I can program enough when I find a hello world example. Because in this case we don;t have any demodulation (only power in a channel) it must be feasible. I looked around a lot to see if there are any any up-to-date examples for Win10 and RTL but I could not find anything to kickstart.
I would try to look at some open source programs used with SDRs -- I think what you are asking would be pretty trivial for someone who is familiar with SDRs and the needed DSP programming. I mostly use C/C++ so can't say much about Python, but there could be some library that already does the DSP processing portion of this.

Time stamping should be trivial.