I'm losing interest in SDRs... please help

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
radionewb

I'm losing interest in SDRs... please help

Post by radionewb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi there, so my problem is the following: with these SDRs, we can receive just about anything we want - except not, because we need LNAs and filters and so on. Am i missing something that for each application i'd like to try, I'll need to purchase the appropriate filter and amplifier (not to mention, sometimes, antenna)?

I'm finding myself collecting SDRs (hackrf, bladea4), and having very little to show for it.

I feel i'm missing the completely obvious and quite frankly i feel a bit dumb having spent all this money.. is there like a 'universal' bank of filter/amplifiers i could buy? Am i just radically missing the point of all this?

Thank you

Aussie Susan

Re: I'm losing interest in SDRs... please help

Post by Aussie Susan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 am

It could be that the problem is a little deeper.
Take things one step at a time.
Give us one example of what you are trying to do and include the type of antenna you are using, the SDR hardware and software and why you need to add filters and LNAs.
My suspicion is that this will come down to the antenna - you can have the best kit in the world but without a suitable and good working antenna then it is just a box on the desk.
But to answer your question, in my experience there is no such thing as a 'universal' anything.
Susan

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 am

Why blame SDRs? What is the point of anything?
An SDR is simply a radio. In general SRDs make different modes easier. If you are talking RTL it is a cheap radio. All radios need antennas, cheap radios in particular will need external filters, maybe preamps for best performance.
You buy SDRs with wide bandwidth if you are going to use all of it then you will need specific components for each band you want to optimise.
If you do not optimise then your results are likely to be far from satisfactory. But then that depends on what satisfies you...
Alan

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 am

What exactly are you trying to do with SDRs? In many applications you can get away with a basic antenna like a dipole and no filtering, or amplification. But it of course depends on your signal environment and the application. If there are strong interfering signals in your environment, you'll want filtering. If it's L-band, you'll want an LNA to reduce the system noise figure.

Maybe you're just after a standard listening experience? The SDRs you bought (HackRF/bladeRF) are not high end RX performance devices. They're intended for experimenters who are willing to do things like add filters and LNAs, or who don't need those things for whatever they're doing.