Compatible image

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Antiaeriana

Compatible image

Post by Antiaeriana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:04 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me run/adapt the existing rpi images on other devices such as usb armory mark II which has i.MX6ULZ ARM cortex A7 processor and comes with Debian 9 stretch image ( or arch linux ). Thank you

AE6EO

Re: Compatible image

Post by AE6EO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:35 am

I think there's a big "gotcha" to the approach you're suggesting (modifying a Kerberos RPi image). Given the state of these embedded-ARM boards, I think you're likely to find that the RPi image is in the wrong format, or has an incompatible kernel, or is missing essential drivers, or its device-tree image causes the kernel to do all the wrong I/O to all the wrong places in your hardware and cause it to sprout wings and fly out the door in a rage. ;)

I'd suggest going about it in the opposite direction:
  • Start with a clean copy of an image intended to work with your board (Debian, Arch, or whatever).
  • Follow the instructions in the KerberosSDR quick-start document, for installing their software on a PC. These steps are quite generic Linux operations and should work on a Debian (for example) image on your board.
  • Customize their "run" script for your board, and (if you desire) hook it up to systemd (or whatever your distribution uses) so that it starts up at boot time.]
The advantage to this approach is that you can start with a "known to run properly" image, and go through a fairly "vanilla" process of installing and compiling software packages to build the Kerberos software on your board.

One disadvantage is that the install process is likely to take a while, and you may need to "throw some resources at it". I've gone through this process 2-3 times to build a working image for a Libre Computer La Frite board. It's generally an overnight build (some of the Python stuff takes a long time to build!) and I had to add an external drive with several GB of swap space to keep the C compiler from running out of memory and OOM'ing. Once the software built, though, it has run OK.

Another disadvantage is that you won't have the neat "look for an access point on your phone and attach to it" auto-start script that the Kerberos people provide... until you pull a copy out of their image and tweak it to run on your distribution.

Antiaeriana

Re: Compatible image

Post by Antiaeriana » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Thank you for your insight ! Regarding the access point - the board has some bluetooth connection and therefore I'll be able to connect with my phone. Memory resources (RAM) on the other hand might pose a tricky problem.