Win 7 x64 (Ryzen/x470) Driver Issue with RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
sspot4

Win 7 x64 (Ryzen/x470) Driver Issue with RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle

Post by sspot4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:07 am

Hi friends,

I'm having difficulty getting a RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle working properly. There are several forum posts similar, but none of the solutions in them seemed to help my situation. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

What I want to do:
Get my RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle working on a Windows 7 x64 system (Ryzen 2700X/Asrock x470 Master SLI/AC) for SDR using SDR# (or HDSDR)

What I have done:
  • Downloaded latest SDR# (32 bit and 64 bit) and HDSDR (32 bit)
  • Installed .NET 4.8
  • Installed WinUSB drivers using zadig 2.4 (my system enumerates the dongle as the Realtek Composite device, and block devices 0 and 1 -- I have tried installing the WinUSB driver on the composite device, the block device 0 and both the composite and block device 0 all with no success)
  • Installed the rtlsdr.dll driver in the SDR# directory (using 32 bit versions for 32 bit # and 64 for 64)
  • Installed ExtIO and rtlsdr dlls in HDSDR directory
What happens:
  • SDR# has no devices listed in the configuration drop-down list for RTL-SDR (USB) inputs.
  • HDSDR says "No RTLSDR devices found"
Things I have tested:
  • The dongle works fine on SDR# and HDSDR on a separate (Intel/x58) system.
  • The dongle works fine on a Linux virtual machine (linux drivers/CubicSDR) running on top of Windows 7 on the Ryzen machine
  • The dongle works fine with the DVB-T drivers installed (using SmartDVB) on the Win 7 Ryzen machine (I have nothing to tune to, being in the USA, but everything seems in working order)
  • I have uninstalled old drivers and devices and rebooted whenever changing drivers
  • I have tried installing drivers/running SDR# and HDSDR in safe mode
  • I have tried various other dlls from form posts here viewtopic.php?t=4411 and here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4710&start=20
  • I have verified SDR# works by tuning to an Airspy server on the Ryzen machine
  • I have disabled various software that might have interfered (Realtek audio manager, etc) with no success
  • Tried multiple different USB ports
So it's a real mystery.. it works on other machines, just not where I want it to work. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by sspot4 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Win 7 x64 (Ryzen/x470) Driver Issue with RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:13 am

Installed WinUSB drivers using zadig 2.4 (my system enumerates the dongle as the Realtek Composite device, and block devices 0 and 1 -- I have tried installing the WinUSB driver on the composite device, the block device 0 and both the composite and block device 0 all with no success)
If you installed the driver on multiple device entries, it's possible that Windows will see the wrong device as the RTL-SDR, and try to start the wrong device, of course resulting in a failed connection.

I'd try and fully uninstall all SDR drivers on all devices that you installed them to first. Then install to device 0 only. Make sure the USB ID matches what is shown in the QSG.

sspot4

Post by sspot4 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:14 am

Sorry, I was unclear. What I meant was, I had already tried the driver installation three different ways, each time uninstalling all drivers:

1. WinUSB installed only on Composite device
2. WinUSB installed only on device 0
3. WinUSB installed on device 0, followed by installing on Composite device

So, yes, I had tried the setup you suggested, installing it only on the Block device 0.

I verified all other 0BDA devices were removed using USBdeview and uninstalled them, removing drivers. I have attached screenshots of the device 0 and Composite devices after installing to device 0 only (like trial #2, above.) Note that WinUSB is not installed on the Composite device in this case, I included the screenshot just to show the default driver still in place for the Composite device.

Thank you for trying to help, please let me know if you have any other ideas.
Attachments
winusbC.jpg
winusbC.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
winusb0.jpg
winusb0.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

qrp

Post by qrp » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:42 am

You can use these DLL files: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4710&start=20#p11796

it will solve your issue. This is known bug of libusb library which happens on modern Ryzen motherboards.
The archive contains rtlsdr.dll which is compiled with a fresh RC libusb with fixed bug.

for SDR# you're needs rtlsdr.dll from archive, for HDSDR both dll

sspot4

Post by sspot4 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:26 am

Hello qrp and thank you for joining the discussion. I had read your posts in other threads about this issue and had already tried your new dlls.

I went back and tried the 1.1.1.7 version you compiled, and I am pleased to report some success! It is intermittent though, and unpredictable. Here's what happens:

1. I newly installed 32 bit SDR# and HDSDR on the Ryzen system, followed by using Zadig 2.4 to install WinUSB on device 0 only. I placed the rtlsdr dll from your package in the SDR# directory and the rtlsdr and ExtIO dlls in the HDSDR directory. Rebooted and replugged the dongle.

2. SDR# and HDSDR initially refused to recognize the dongle with the same results as earlier.

3. Wanting to be thorough, I proceeded to unplug and replug the dongle on all USB ports. When I got to using the (unpowered) USB hub contained in my keyboard (which in turn was connected to the single USB3.1gen2 port on the back of my mobo), the dongle worked in SDR#! I did not test HDSDR, but I assume it would have worked fine.

4. I rebooted to see if this configuration would continue to work.. it did not, and both programs continued to not see the dongle. The dongle also did not work when directly connected to the 3.1g2 port, without using the hub.

5. I swapped the dongle through all the USB ports again, and was able to get it recognized (in both SDR# and HDSDR), this time on a front panel USB3.1gen1 port. This did not persist through a reboot, and the dongle stopped being recognized again.

I doubt it is a power issue, as I have run many USB devices before and have a very solid Seasonic Titanium PSU. Still, to test it, I disconnected all USB devices other than mouse and the dongle, and got no results.

I also want to say my system has been very reliable otherwise, with no problems getting multiple other USB devices recognized.

I don't think it is the dongle being flaky either. The way I have been regularly using it is through # on the Ryzen connected to a spyserver running on a local networked raspberry pi holding the dongle, and the dongle has never failed to load on the pi.

Thank you again for the dlls, qrp, do you have any other ideas what may be causing this instability? I have also tried the daily builds of the dlls from the Osmocom mailing list at http://ftp.osmocom.org/binaries/windows/rtl-sdr/ with no success. I am happy to compile the dlls locally if there are things you think might help to try.