Trouble with my new RTL-SDR and antenna kit

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Listenup

Trouble with my new RTL-SDR and antenna kit

Post by Listenup » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi, I receive my new RTL-SDR and antenna kit a couple of days ago.
I've managed to hear a few stations , but not many.
The SDR gets extremely hot.
Today I tried to listen and heard a little bit. I wanted to see if the antenna was not working. I disconnected it and there was no change in the noise on the radio....i reconnected it and tried again. Still no change. I disconnected the two lengths of wire and still no change.
Shouldn't there be even a noise gain if the antenna is connected?
Could this problem be in the antenna or the unit.
I've tried it on my Android tablet with SDR touch and on my laptop with HDSDR and SDR# with all the same results. I've followed all the set up procedures.
What can I do to test the components.
Thanks

sspot4

Re: Trouble with my new RTL-SDR and antenna kit

Post by sspot4 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 pm

If you bought the RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle with antenna kit, have a look inside the antenna to make sure it's not shorted out. Mine was shorted across the resistor. (In the center of the antenna where it articulates, pop off the little black cover on top and look inside.)

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 am

If you've found a fault contact please us at [email protected]. Everything is warrantied, so replacements are sent if anything slipped passed QC.

sspot4

Post by sspot4 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:31 am

It wasn't a big deal, the wires were just twisted inside and bare copper was bypassing the resistor. Nudging them out of contact with a screwdriver fixed it. But if there are other complaints about the antenna not working, this might be the cause. Thanks for the offer though.