Frequency Scanner Plugin config

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Maxnalex

Frequency Scanner Plugin config

Post by Maxnalex » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi,

I'm running Airspy v1.0.0.1732 with Frequency Scanner Plug in. All works fine except that I scannot find how (if possible) to skip a continuous signal. I have looked at the Frequency Lock setting but this seems to lock to the frequency rather than lockout the frequency. Anyone able to help, have I got that right??

Thanks

Phil

JEL

Re: Frequency Scanner Plugin config

Post by JEL » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:32 pm

A late reply, but still :)

Click the big red X to permanently lock out a channel from the scan (It will be listed in the frequencies.xml file in the section of excluded frequencies)

If it is a channel that has a constant carrier, then it should already be skipped while scanning though, as the scanner detects the noise-floor when you start it and treat everything as OFF (Provided you have selected 'dynamic noise-floor' in the scanner-settings of course)

If you lock out a channel by mistake, your only option to get it back is to go to the .xml file and delete it from the list of excluded frequencies.

RadioFan2

Post by RadioFan2 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 am

Thanks JEL, I had that question as well. I've been playing around with it but still a bit confused. What I'd like to do is use this to scan a few known frequencies instead of scanning the entire range -- that has a lot of noise, and pick up the ones that are transmitting, i.e. for a police scanner. What is the best way to configure this?

JEL

Post by JEL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:04 am

RadioFan2 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 am
What I'd like to do is use this to scan a few known frequencies instead of scanning the entire range -- that has a lot of noise, and pick up the ones that are transmitting, i.e. for a police scanner. What is the best way to configure this?
Yes, scanning single channels is not what the scanner is made for, so you have to do a bit of manual editing-work on the "scanner_entryes.xml" file to do that.

One single channel can be entered like this:

Code: Select all

<MemoryEntryFrequencyRange>
      <StepSize>12500</StepSize>
      <FilterBandwidth>12500</FilterBandwidth>
      <StartFrequency>123456000</StartFrequency>
      <EndFrequency>123456000</EndFrequency>
      <RangeName>Channel Name</RangeName>
      <RangeDetectorType>NFM</RangeDetectorType>
    </MemoryEntryFrequencyRange>

Copy that text and edit it to the channel you need and then repeat the process over and over for each single channel you want (That can be a LOT of work and probably not worth it unless you only need a handful of channels.)

When you have edited the xml file you open SDR# and then select all the channels you want to scan.

The work-around is that you're basically entering very small scan-ranges (A range of just one single frequency, but the scanner can't tell the difference, so it will work :) )

StepSize is pretty much irrelevant, since we won't be doing any stepping.

FilterBandwidth needs to fit the channel's broadcast-operator.

StartFrequency and EndFrequency needs to be the frequency of the channel in Hertz.
In the example above it is 123.456 MHz

RangeName is whatever name you want to enter. It's the name shown in the selector in SDR#.

RangeDetectorType is the modulation of the broadcast-operator.
NFM is Narrow Frequency Modulation
AM would be Amplitude Modulation
USB = Upper Side Band
And so on.

So make such a new section in the xml file for each single channel you want... lot of work :)

Again, the scanner is not really designed to do single-channels (But rather frequency ranges) and it may not be worth it to attempt this type of operation with it. But that's the easiest method, in my opinion, if you want to have a go at it :)

3 single channels would look like this:

Code: Select all

<StartFrequency>123456000</StartFrequency>
      <EndFrequency>123456000</EndFrequency>
      <RangeName>Channel Name 1</RangeName>
      <StartFrequency>223456000</StartFrequency>
      <EndFrequency>223456000</EndFrequency>
      <RangeName>Channel Name 2</RangeName>
      <StartFrequency>323456000</StartFrequency>
      <EndFrequency>323456000</EndFrequency>
      <RangeName>Channel Name 3</RangeName>

RadioFan2

Post by RadioFan2 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Awesome, thanks for your quick reply! I'll have a go at it and hopefully be able to tweak to my needs. I was trying to set start and end frequencies the same but it wasn't liking that, so I figured the manual way was the best way to go. Thanks again!