Interfacing Rpi or similar for VHF PTT using rtl-sdr

Show off any of your RTL-SDR or cheap SDR related projects.
Eddie87

Interfacing Rpi or similar for VHF PTT using rtl-sdr

Post by Eddie87 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi, I am starting on a project where I need to interface Raspberry pi or any other small microcontroller board or small pc board so that it can recieve PTT signals from a VHF radio of any model with the rtl-sdr module.

the idea is to use the VHF to send PTT signals through rtl-sdr on the raspberry pi which can then control some lights/LEDs through a relay circuit.

Is there any tips on how to do this?
What about previous projects? Has anybody heard about this before?

Thanks

pathwayz

Re: Interfacing Rpi or similar for VHF PTT using rtl-sdr

Post by pathwayz » Mon May 11, 2020 10:10 am

Not sure how you went with this as post if abit old. I was big into pis before SDR so had a heap laying around.
I used flashed PiSDR to a Pi3b+, as it gave me a good base to work from, then added dump1090, Rf at and a few other bits. Also added the following
- raspap (makes pi into a hotspot)
- 20000mah battery pack
- RTLSDR
All in all makes a portable pack that I can put on top of the car or on a high point and connect into it, via SSH, Vnc and the audit and record whatever data I need. Also as simple as plugging in at home to my antennas and then sit in the lounge or where ever and do my thing. Find if I'm doing rx tx stuff I find it easier to do it all on the laptop but for most stuff, it works great.

Username

Re: Interfacing Rpi or similar for VHF PTT using rtl-sdr

Post by Username » Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi
I use a Yaesu SCU-17 Soundmodem and have the huge problem there are Multible Software for that stuff like: ROS, PSK31, SIMPSK,... and the other stuff.
So what I need is someone who want write a Software to have Multiple Virtual ComPorts and a Sound Splitter who Mute the other Channels when a Software push the PTT. :D