Need help decoding a fireplace remote control

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
securitypedant

Need help decoding a fireplace remote control

Post by securitypedant » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 am

Hi

I am new to SDR and have a project where I want to control my fireplace using an Arduino device instead of the supplied remote control. Why? Because this sounds like a superb way to learn about SDR.

I have a gas fireplace that came with a remote control. The FCCID on it led me to this FCC entry, https://fccid.io/T99058201300, that tells me the device transmits on 315Mhz. I plugged in my USB RTL-SDR and using Airspy's SDRSharp I was able to capture the remote on and off commands. The WAV file is here, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BsX3r8 ... sp=sharing

I was following this really good article, https://www.blackhillsinfosec.com/how-t ... using-sdr/, but when I look at my own recording, it doesn't show the neat waveform that helps me determine the 0 and 1 digital data.

The following screenshot shows, at the top, the full capture of the ON event. Then I show the zoomed in area of the first major chunk. Which looks like maybe there is digital representations of a 1 and 0 by the thickness of the bursts of RF. Then the bottom waveform shows the final zoom, which is just hard to understand. Is this some multiplexed data? I'm very new to radio signals and SDR, so learning a lot here.

Any advice on how to interpret this waveform would be great. My goal is to write some simple code that allows me to create my own thermostat which controls the fireplace. I might even try integrating with Google Nest and having the fireplace work from the thermostat data from the Nest devices.

Username

Re: Need help decoding a fireplace remote control

Post by Username » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:21 am

every serious Company use a Rolling Code System.

securitypedant

Post by securitypedant » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Would a fireplace need to use a rolling code? Seems like over kill for something that does not provide access.

If indeed this is the case, how do I design for a rolling code? Do I need to duplicate pairing functionality?

Username

Post by Username » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm

Would a fireplace need to use a rolling code?
To avoid:
a) when 2 people use the same System to not disturb them
b) for security think

its common in Europe.
Do I need to duplicate pairing functionality?
You need to Hack the System and read out the Codes.
Good Luck... There is be easy to design your own Remote Control System.

securitypedant

Post by securitypedant » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Well that is going to be a bit more complicated. I'll try and capture the pairing process and see if there is a seed number that used as part of the rolling code generation.

But my question still stands about interpreting the data in the screenshot. Am I correct in identifying the digital signal?

Username

Post by Username » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:15 pm

in the screenshot
Which?
I personalty gave up to decode anything beside of Audio the chance to receive it clear enough is very low.