Static shock while connecting ground-wire to radio?

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
JEL

Re: Static shock while connecting ground-wire to radio?

Post by JEL » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:15 am

Thanks Hotpaw2 :)

I already have a ground-wire permanently connected to the shield of the antenna (And since it's a loop-antenna thus also automatically to the lead wire)

But I have ordered a galvanic isolator and also a surge-protector, which are to sit on the cable near the radio, so I'm currently waiting for those to arrive before doing more work with this antenna :)

Good advice with touching the cable to ground before connecting it.
I usually do the same with myself before handling electro-statically sensitive devices (By touching my finger to something 'ground' to dissipate static from my body)

KD7CAO

Re: Static shock while connecting ground-wire to radio?

Post by KD7CAO » Sun May 24, 2020 2:30 am

JEL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:15 am
Thanks Hotpaw2 :)

I already have a ground-wire permanently connected to the shield of the antenna (And since it's a loop-antenna thus also automatically to the lead wire)

But I have ordered a galvanic isolator and also a surge-protector, which are to sit on the cable near the radio, so I'm currently waiting for those to arrive before doing more work with this antenna :)

Good advice with touching the cable to ground before connecting it.
I usually do the same with myself before handling electro-statically sensitive devices (By touching my finger to something 'ground' to dissipate static from my body)
I would recommend you purchase a PolyPhaser (this is a brand name) the industry standard in RF protection. You can purchase them for a variety of frequencies and power limits (not that you need a high wattage for receive) and you can also get a DC Passing if you wanted to feed power on your feedline for an LNA for example. There are other brands that may work just as well for your needs. Good grounding for the PolyPhaser is also extremely important. If you want the best methods, read up on the Motorola R56 standards otherwise, the American Radio Relay League has a decent book too. I have the Kindle Version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1625950659?ta ... th=1&psc=1