MacOS: Stopped Detecting Device

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Paradox32

MacOS: Stopped Detecting Device

Post by Paradox32 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:24 pm

I have been using my RTL-SDR v3 for a few weeks now with an Apple Macbook Pro and GQRX software and it suddenly stopped working. When I turn it on in the software nothing happens, and if I click the configure button to select the device, the Realtek device is no longer listed as an option. I couldn't find any other software to test on MacOS, but was able to plug it into a Windows PC and it does make the default windows sound that it is detected, but am getting the same issue with various software in windows that it's not detected as a usable device.

Any advice? I need to get it workin on my Mac, maybe it's simply a faulty unit? I've only used it for about 2hrs total time and keep it unplugged when not in use.

Paradox32

Re: MacOS: Stopped Detecting Device

Post by Paradox32 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:03 pm

UPDATE: I was able to boot into windows on my mac and after following the steps for SDR# was able to get it working. It however is still not working in MacOS...

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Did you upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina recently? If so, you may need to rebuild libusb and rtl_tcp (included inside Gqrx), and/or reinstall recent copies and remove all the macOS quarantine flags.

The instructions on how to install libusb and rtl_tcp on a Mac here:
http://www.transitiontechnologyventures ... structions
don't seem to have been updated yet. But should be soon.

Paradox32

Post by Paradox32 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:37 pm

I didn’t recently update to Catalina (did that when it was originally released), but there have been a couple updates recently. I’ll follow the steps provided. Thank you!