Help with RTL-SDR HF

Talk about other SDR products like the FunCube, HackRF, BladeRF etc.
rbannocks

Help with RTL-SDR HF

Post by rbannocks » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi, I am quite new to SDR and for that matter radio and hope someone can render help.

I have a cheap Chinese imported HF Sdr. As you will see from the pictures it has 2 inputs one for UV and one for HF. I have HDSDR installed and the EXTIO installed on windows. I can tune the device to VHF this gets better reception when the antenna is connected to the UV antenna input. So it is working to some extent. However I have completely failed to get any reception on HF, not even stations I can receive on a small portable CS-106 radio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npWFYauZYoI). The antenna is supposed to be a ‘HF’ antenna, it was supplied with the device, but, I suspect this is the major source of problems. Examination of the device shows it is nothing more than a RTL-SDR ‘DVT’ stick board mounted on another PCB with a larger case and two antenna inputs, pictures attached. Can anyone advise what I need to do to receive on HF. I have tried during on ‘Direct Sampling’ via I and Q this improves the frequency display built I am still unsuccessful in really receiving any signals even SW stations the portable CS-106 can receive easily.

I am really unsure if this is a software or hardware issue. I would have assumed perhaps wrongly that if the portable can receive a station then the device should without much trouble, but, I could well be wrong please advise me. Does anyone else have experience of these devices?

Best

2e0sve
Attachments
Inside 1.gif
Inside 1.gif (2.79 MiB) Viewed 892 times
Antenna sockets.gif
Antenna sockets.gif (2.7 MiB) Viewed 892 times
IMG_20200404_150750.jpg
IMG_20200404_150750.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 892 times

radiolistener

Re: Help with RTL-SDR HF

Post by radiolistener » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 am

You're needs to switch into direct sampling mode for HF. Open ExtIO window and select Q-branch