Disappointment with my new 2M antenna

Discuss commercial and home made antennas.
Epaynaer

Disappointment with my new 2M antenna

Post by Epaynaer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:55 pm

My beam blew down in the storms so I decided to fit a high gain vertical instead. I duly purchased a Moonraker 3x5/8 colinear. I fitted it at the weekend and it sounded OK at first until I compared it with the 2m/70cm antenna in my loft and found it generally to be down by about one 'S' point.

They are both fitted with UR67, the colinear with an 'N' type plug which is soldered. The Moonraker is supposed to have a gain of around 7db and is about 14' long as opposed one in the loft which is only about 6' and has a splitter in circuit. The only difference is that the feeder to the Moonraker is about three times the length of the loft one but the aerial is about 20' higher.

I checked the feeder for water ingress before I fitted the new plug and there is no sign of it. Have I been ripped off or can anyone offer a different explanation?

Thanks

And off topic question.
I need to get a shorter antenna like at this website on my 06 F150 S-Crew. It hits the top of my garage and my garage door everytime I pull in and out, and has started to gouge the wood on the trim.

I don't want to bend it, and I don;t want of of those stupid, flimsy, rubber "european look" things. I just need to have a shorter one, say 2"-3" shorter.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Epaynaer on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

VE3EAR

Re: Disappointment with my new 2M antenna

Post by VE3EAR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:08 pm

What type of coax are you using for the feed line to the new antenna?

73, Bruce, VE3EAR

KD7CAO

Re: Disappointment with my new 2M antenna

Post by KD7CAO » Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 am

I had to go lookup UR67 and found the specifications. It is similar to RG-213 which is not a great cable for long distances. RG-213 has a loss of about 2.8 db per 100 feet. Depending on how long your run is this could be your issue. At VHF I strongly recommend looking at something in the LMR-400 range of 1.5 db per 100 feet or LMR-600 which is 0.98 db per 100 feet.