Bias Tee low voltage

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
af7ux

Bias Tee low voltage

Post by af7ux » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 am

Hello - I just got my v3. I bought it from Amazon using the link from this site, so it is presumable genuine. The problem is, when I enable the bias tee, it does turn on, but I only get about 1.8v, not the 4.5v I should be getting. It's not enough to even turn my amp on.

Any idea what to do here? I have tried forcing it on in firmware, which resulted in a bricked device (I managed to recover that with software), and though it says that bias-t is always on, I still have to turn it on to get voltage.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Bias Tee low voltage

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:11 am

Is the dongle running on a PC / Pi ? WIth a USB cable? Perhaps your dongle is not receiving enough voltage from the host, or there is too much loss in a USB cable.

ALso i'm not sure how setting the bias tee EEPROM flag could brick it, what happened there? And how did you recover it?

af7ux

Re: Bias Tee low voltage

Post by af7ux » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:15 pm

It's running directly connected to a PC, no cables, via a port that can handle plenty of power. I have tried other PCs as well. My v1 dongle has no problem on the same ports.

I've seen other reports of people's devices getting bricked by writing to eeprom. In my case, it changed the hwid so it wasn't recognized as any kind of device. I forced windows to install the WinUSB driver, which still did not fix it, but once it had a driver zadiag could see it and update the driver (presumably zadiag tells windows to think this hwid is a bulk in interface).