Need help with new HF/VHF-UHF dongle

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
reble

Need help with new HF/VHF-UHF dongle

Post by reble » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am

I just got the replacement dongle in the mail today for the "Full Band UV HF RTL-SDR 100KHz-1.7GHz Cable Tuner Receiver/R820T P7K5 + Antenna" that I got on eBay. The old one was hard wired to receive FM only. The VHF/UHF side worked fine but the HF side was worthless. Even if I had the tools to the micro mini soldering, to make the HF work. I couldn't do the soldering. I have micro tremors in my hands. I can't hold the soldering iron still anymore.
Anyways eBay made the seller send me a new dongle. I am having trouble with both HDSDR and SDR Consol. I just installed HDSDR and SDR Consol In tje New Gateway laptop model NV570P-18U, OS Win 10 Home 64 bit. I have SDR Consol set to one of the local FM radio stations 105.3mhz. with SDR Consol set to wide FM. The sound, sounds like the program is a bit off freq, like plus or minus 500khz or if it were an older real radio then someone was messing with the tuning in the IF cans. I can still make out what the DJ is saying and the songs but it is very scratchy. The regular AM/FM radio/boom box on my shelf picks up 105.3 with an RST of 5 by 9 with the pull up antenna all the way down.
I haven't checked the HF side yet. Ether this dongle has a problem or I don't have a setting right in both programs.
I haven't gotten the program SDRSharp to even start up yet when I click on the exe. I do have the latest version of SDRSharp. I had this problem with SDRSharp not starting in my old Dell laptop. That time it was because I had an older version of SDRSharp that would only run on 32 bit, not on 64 bit.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1384
Attachments
sdr console.jpg
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1384
sdr console.jpg (290.57 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

reble

Re: Need help with new HF/VHF-UHF dongle

Post by reble » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 am

PS: NOAA weather radio is coming in RST 5 by 9 on N-FM. The offset is slightly off. NOAA here is on 162.450mhz. NOAA is 5 by 9 at 162.440mhz.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Your bandwidth filter is too tight. Pic shows 40Khz width... ( bandpass) ...On WFM it should to about 200.
Click those 3 dots in the filter block on the left...you'll be able to set more pre-assigned filter widths.

reble

Post by reble » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Tim the answer (about the bandwidth filter) hit me like a ton of bricks this morning when I woke up. That fix's that. But I still can't get SDRSharp to start up. I click on sdrsharp.exe,

I don't know what happened just now when I fired up the laptop, then clicked on sdrsharp.exe. SDRSharp came alive. I set the source for RTL_SDR (USB) and hit the start icon, I get "no device selected". What now?

Dum DE Dum I forgot to turn on the dongle. SDRSharp is now 100% working.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 pm

Did you click on that cog and select which rtl your going to select? ...The same place you increase rf gain ??
Is rtlsdr.dll in the directory ?
I use to have to do the zadig routine if I inserted the dongle into a different usb port.

reble

Post by reble » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 pm

Tim. The RST on 105.3mhz is now a solid 5 by 9. The HF side is working down to 24mhz. On 28.205mhz I am faintly hearing a local 10 meter CW beacon even with the crummy little mag mount antenna that came with it. The beacon's RST is about 4 by 3. On the RCI-2950 with a 102" wipe in my SUV the 10 meter CW beacon is a solid 5 by 9 +. Bellow 24mhz I can't even force it to receive a signal from my Echo model 324 RF signal generator with the output lead clipped right on the coax. I have heard talk of some kind of an inverter needed to receive anything bellow 24mhz. Is that true? If so where do I find it?

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:37 am

If you had a silver v3 dongle from the the business on this forum it would have the capability of selecting direct sampling...vs the quadrature mode your using now. No extra hardware needed.....
IF you have something else...that doesn't cover the low bands than you need an upconverter. You hook your antenna to the input of the converter and then everything is shifted up 125Mhz...depending on what unit you purchased.. older ones are 120Mhz...I prefer upconverters. The V3 in direct sampling needs a much better antenna

reble

Post by reble » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:16 pm

What business? Where can I find this silver v3 dongle? This 2nd replacement dongle is going into the box of stuff, along with the 1st HF/VHF-UHF dongle to be sold at the Spokane hamfest. For what ever I can get out of them.

I have the ok from my apt manager to put back up my Antennas after the face lift is done (already Done) on my apt building. The new owner is having the whole apt complex fixed up. New roofs, new outside siding and new windows.
tim_rtd wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:37 am
If you had a silver v3 dongle from the the business on this forum it would have the capability of selecting direct sampling...vs the quadrature mode your using now. No extra hardware needed.....
IF you have something else...that doesn't cover the low bands than you need an upconverter. You hook your antenna to the input of the converter and then everything is shifted up 125Mhz...depending on what unit you purchased.. older ones are 120Mhz...I prefer upconverters. The V3 in direct sampling needs a much better antenna

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Go to rtl-sdr.com
At the top banner, to the right is the button for the store.
There is also a button for quick start guide.