Kerberos SDR stopped responding

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
Szotos

Kerberos SDR stopped responding

Post by Szotos » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Hi,
I have been using steadily a kerberos SDR to track VHF signals using Raspberry Pi 4 powered with batteries.
The system was working fine.
Few week ago it just stopped responding. The software is initiating but when i hit start, nothing happens. no refresh rate or anything. I replace the kerberos with a second one (attached on the same antena array, raspberry Pi, power supply etc.) and it seems to work just fine. I was wondering whether this kind of behaviour makes sense, if its a malfuction and if i can do somehting to make it work again.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Kerberos SDR stopped responding

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 am

If another unit is working fine, then it seems like a hardware issue. Can you run rtl_test on the four tuners on the system (or use the DIP switch to isolate), and see if all tuners are working?

ec21

Post by ec21 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 am

Hello I have almost the same issue with my kerberros.
I have tried to use coherent finding, but it doesn’t work. I have tried with both Raspberry PI 3 and 4 and 3 different ISO from your website.
Neither the Android nor the web browser interface give any result.
However, commands sent by Android or web browser affect the Kerberos program on Raspberry Pi correctly.
When the 4 sdr are activated the chanel 1 works only about 5 seconds and nothing else.
When only the 1st SDR is powered, it has a very poor gain in contrary to the others that have almost the same gain value. The name of the 1st SDR is also not correctly recognized. ( 0: RTL-SD?, , SN: )

########################################

Extract from Raspberry RTL_TEST command line 1st time:

[email protected]:~ $ rtl_test
Found 4 device(s):
0: RTL-SD?, , SN:
1: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 002
2: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 003
3: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 004

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
rtlsdr_write_reg failed with -1
Resetting device...
rtlsdr_write_reg failed with -4
rtlsdr_demod_write_reg failed with -4
rtlsdr_demod_read_reg failed with -4
r82xx_write: i2c wr failed=-4 reg=05 len=7
r82xx_write: i2c wr failed=-4 reg=0c len=1
r82xx_init: failed=-4
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
r82xx_write: i2c wr failed=-4 reg=0a len=1
WARNING: Failed to set sample rate.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
Failed to submit transfer 0
Please increase your allowed usbfs buffer size with the following command:
echo 0 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb

Library error -5, exiting...

Extract from Raspberry RTL_TEST command line 2nd time:

the 1st SDR is no more recognized.

Found 4 device(s):
0: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 002
1: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 003
2: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 004
The Raspberry RTL_TEST with other SDR is working correctly.

Stromeko

Post by Stromeko » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:26 am

ec21 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 am
Found 4 device(s):
0: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 002
1: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 003
2: RTL-SDR, KerberosSDR, SN: 004
That is pretty wierd. Note that rtl_test found four devices (so the four USB endpoints exist), but then only got data from three of those. You might try to switch off all devices except one with the DIP switches and then see which one is acting up and exactly how (corrupted EEPROM?). If they all work individually, but not together, then the most likely culprit is unstable power.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 am

That's a weird string to be getting back on tuner 0. I'd say it's either a power issue, or there is something dodgy with the tuner 0 circuit or the EEPROM corrupted itself somehow.

If it's faulty just let us both know at [email protected] and [email protected].

ec21

Post by ec21 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:03 am

The 1sr chanel (only this on activated) only works about 5 seconds and then stop. the 3 others work fine.

rfjohnso

Post by rfjohnso » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:53 am

Edit: I decided to try it on one of my raspberry Pis with the latest image and the Kerberos seems to work so this must be a software issue that I have somehow created.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My kerberos just stopped working too. It's been great up until about a week ago. Then it started crashing when I started the passive radar. So I decided to update to the latest software. I was still running the old build from March? 2019.
When I first downloaded the updated software from github it was on a new Ubuntu 20.04 release but that uses QT5. I changed all calls in the ksdr software to use qt5 but the software does not see the board. So I decided to just update the old ubuntu 18.04 install I had been using where the ksdr was working to the latest ksdr software. Now the ksdr software comes up but the sample rate stays at -ms and the graphs dont move, the noise source wont activate etc when you start processioning, nothing happens.
The individual rtlsdrs dont report any errors with rtl_test... I also tested each individual device with rtl_433 with no errors on any (d0 - d3) and they are picking up data from a nearby rain guage and TPMS.
SO I decided to try it out on my XU4 which is where I first installed the software back in early 2019. I still get the same behavior.

Any ideas on what else to try? I am using good cables (I have tried several) and both power lights (blue and white) light up when powered on.

Other notes:
When I tried it on the XU4 it was using usbc power from a source that worked fine before.
I restored the old ksdr software build from a backup and still the same behavior, -ms sample rate, no graph updates etc...
Since the 4 individual sdrs seem to work it seems like that just leaves the clock and noise source?
thanks for any help!