I have a PAL and FM TV tuner card, can I use this as SDR?

Talk about other SDR products like the FunCube, HackRF, BladeRF etc.
bugfinder

I have a PAL and FM TV tuner card, can I use this as SDR?

Post by bugfinder » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 pm

I have a PCI PAL and FM tuner card, can I use this as SDR? It has input and output which requires coaxial cable, there is a small hole for FM antenna which I lost. Will this TV tuner card be enough to make software defined radio, what frequencies can it cover? Can it cover cell phone range? What kind of cable can I connect to the coaxial input which can act as antenna?

No one is selling software defined radios where I live, I read somewhere on the net that tv tuner cards can be turned into SDR. So I'm wondering if I can use this as such. What software can I use?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: I have a PAL and FM TV tuner card, can I use this as SDR?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 am

Very unlikely that a random FM tuner card works as an SDR.

Why can't you order an RTL-SDR online? What country are you in?

hamradionl

Post by hamradionl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 am

Very past time ago some cards work, some brand. Look it up on internet

snn47

Post by snn47 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Internal and external PAL and FM tuner cards were built to cover the terrestrial analogue and/or DVB BC and TV channels.

Those internal cards external boxes consist of a turner and a circuit for converting the signals for the pc. To my knowledge only some of those DVB (?), may be used as SDR, while the others have dedicated circuits for demodulating analogue TV.

The frequency range and min/max. frequency depends on the region the turner was built for (ranges see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televisio ... requencies ).

Only tuner intended for CATV range will cover the complete range between channel 2 and 80.