Making my own rtl-sdr

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
TurtleForGaming

Making my own rtl-sdr

Post by TurtleForGaming » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:39 am

Recently I came across this thread on the forum: viewtopic.php?t=265 and it immediately got thinking of an idea that includes creating my own PCB.

I like to say that I'm pretty good with PCB design and was wondering if I can get all chips / component necessaries for the schematic in the thread above and make a PCB out of it. Can I just plug it in my computer and it will work or do I need to do some funny business like flashing something on one of the chips?

Also, what is the I2C port on the RTL2832U ?

Thank in advance for the help.

wowologist

Re: Making my own rtl-sdr

Post by wowologist » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:16 am

For the price of the completed unit - I don't see it being very economical and last time I checked the chips were only purchasable in 50k lots per run. You might find one in someones junk box that has had the USB portion fried or shorted or bent or something. Good luck though! Personally I think youd have more fun with

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:17 am

The original page https://ggtoshi.at.webry.info/201406/article_6.html says there is an EEPROM connected to the RTL, I guess it needs programming.
I do not think that making SDRs is "simply" PCB design, surely firmware in a micro is required to control it? Most have arrangements for updating.
Alan

TurtleForGaming

Post by TurtleForGaming » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:53 pm

So right now my option is to do something like this https://www.rtl-sdr.com/assembling-chin ... pling-kit/ on my project or redesign the PCB and cloning the EEPROM.

But on both option I not sure about the legal repercussion as I'm planning to sell it.
Reselling Chinese sdrs sounds better than cloning the EEPROM but cloning would be better in terms of integrations on a pcb.
I always have the option of designing the PCB and transferring component from a cheap Chinese sdr to the PCB it would solve the approvisionnement issue for both the tuner and the rtl.

What's your opinion on this.