Proper way to install drivers for rtl-sdr v3

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Bill2k

Proper way to install drivers for rtl-sdr v3

Post by Bill2k » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I need help installing the drivers for an rtl-sdr v3. I have a raspberry pi 4. I downloaded and installed the drivers for the rtl-sdr v3 according to the instructions from https://github.com/rtlsdrblog/rtl-sdr-blog. Everything seemed to work fine. I ran rtl_test with no issues. I also turned on and off the bias t using rtl_biast -b 1/0 with no issues.

After checking that the driver was working I installed GNU Radio Companion using 'sudo apt install gnuradio'. And thats where I ran into issues. Now if I try to turn on the bias t I get the following message:
rtl_biast: symbol lookup error: rtl_biast: undefined symbol: rtlsdr_set_gpio

I was able to find a workaround on google. By using the following command I can get the bias t to work:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib rtl_biast -b 1/0

But thats not what my issue is. I would like some guidance on how to install the drivers for the rtl-sdr v3. Im concerned that I am not installing the driver properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Proper way to install drivers for rtl-sdr v3

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:00 am

GNU Radio probably autoinstalled the drivers from the repos'. THat causes conflicts with the drivers install manually.

Try this:

sudo apt purge librtlsdr*
sudo rm -rvf /usr/lib/librtlsdr* /usr/include/rtl-sdr* /usr/local/lib/librtlsdr* /usr/local/include/rtl-sdr*

Bill2k

Re: Proper way to install drivers for rtl-sdr v3

Post by Bill2k » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:24 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:00 am

Try this:

sudo apt purge librtlsdr*
sudo rm -rvf /usr/lib/librtlsdr* /usr/include/rtl-sdr* /usr/local/lib/librtlsdr* /usr/local/include/rtl-sdr*
Will doing that mess with GNU Radio? How can I prevent this from happening when I install other sdr software? I have no problem starting from scratch with a fresh install of Buster. Would you recommend starting from scratch? And if I did start from scratch, how would you recommend installing the driver for the rtl-sdr v3, GNU Radio, and other apps I can use with the rtl-sdr?