New Networked DFing software

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
ckoval7

Re: New Networked DFing software

Post by ckoval7 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:35 pm

From the terminal you started the program from you'll see "Receiver Paused."

A refresh of the WebUI will show the "Enable Receiver" switch turned off. Turning that back on will get things moving again.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:23 am

I’ve posted and deleted a few times now, sorry. It didn’t seem as though the icon was appearing on the map with gpsd, but that appears to work now. What I am noticing is that the icon doesn’t move unless I manually hit refresh. Is this because I’m not moving very far or because there’s only one KerberosSDr and intersections are not being generated? I was thinking the updated position would be processed by cesium and I wouldn’t have to manually hit refresh.

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 am

awdmesh wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:23 am
I’ve posted and deleted a few times now, sorry. It didn’t seem as though the icon was appearing on the map with gpsd, but that appears to work now. What I am noticing is that the icon doesn’t move unless I manually hit refresh. Is this because I’m not moving very far or because there’s only one KerberosSDr and intersections are not being generated? I was thinking the updated position would be processed by cesium and I wouldn’t have to manually hit refresh.
I just finished tonight's update. Changes are listed here: https://github.com/ckoval7/df-aggregato ... ember-2020

I just added an autorefresh as well.

I saw your post about the apt install gpsd missing from the KSDR software documentation, so I fixed that. Feedback like that is greatly appreciated!

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks for the updates and I should’ve just left the feedback! I thought it was more an error on my part by not reading your documentation, but I must have looked back at your page after you updated it to cover gpsd.

I have three KerberosSDr/Pi combos setup so far with gpsd. I’ll have to do a test run today.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Still working it, but I've got the following in the python log on the second system

File "_GUI/hydra_main_window.py", line 764, in DOA_plot
self.wr_xml(str(int(DOA)), str(int(confidence_sum)), str(np.maximum(0, max_$
File "_GUI/hydra_main_window.py", line 783, in wr_xml
latitude, longitude = packet.position()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/gpsd/__init__.py", line 140, in $
raise NoFixError("Needs at least 2D fix")
gpsd.NoFixError: Needs at least 2D fix

I'm not sure if the kerberossdr will ever finish fully starting up unless a fix is found or if I'll need to kill and manually start the software. I've stopped it for now and have xgps running to see if i can get a fix, but something I'll need to keep in mind when starting each system up.

Edit: I have all three systems coming up on the map with gps locations being updated. I’ll have df-aggregator running as well as RDFMapper to visually see the lobs, plus each driver will have the app connected to each system so they should be able to navigate on their own.

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm

awdmesh wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Still working it, but I've got the following in the python log on the second system

File "_GUI/hydra_main_window.py", line 764, in DOA_plot
self.wr_xml(str(int(DOA)), str(int(confidence_sum)), str(np.maximum(0, max_$
File "_GUI/hydra_main_window.py", line 783, in wr_xml
latitude, longitude = packet.position()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/gpsd/__init__.py", line 140, in $
raise NoFixError("Needs at least 2D fix")
gpsd.NoFixError: Needs at least 2D fix

I'm not sure if the kerberossdr will ever finish fully starting up unless a fix is found or if I'll need to kill and manually start the software. I've stopped it for now and have xgps running to see if i can get a fix, but something I'll need to keep in mind when starting each system up.

Edit: I have all three systems coming up on the map with gps locations being updated. I’ll have df-aggregator running as well as RDFMapper to visually see the lobs, plus each driver will have the app connected to each system so they should be able to navigate on their own.
Thank you for the error output. I put the GPS antenna under my couch cushions and reproduced it. I've added error handling to the code.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Today’s the day. I’m checking out the transmitter location now. I’m most likely going to use the 106.5 tower. I’ll have the antenna height and spacing as close to what it should be as possible.

What do you suggest cluster settings and such to be set at?

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:47 pm

awdmesh wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:39 pm
Today’s the day. I’m checking out the transmitter location now. I’m most likely going to use the 106.5 tower. I’ll have the antenna height and spacing as close to what it should be as possible.

What do you suggest cluster settings and such to be set at?
The cluster settings vary depending on a lot of factors. It's best to play with the min points and epsilon sliders to see what the results on the map look like. They don't need to be set any particular way at collection time. I've found an epsion of 0.2 (the default) is a good starting point for a single transmitter. Minimun points per cluster will greatly depend on how many intersections you've collected. Messing with those sliders is just like any other slider in the SDR world, you don't really understand what it does until you play with it.

I've got a site with virtual transmitters/receivers set up that can be used to test things out, get used to the interface.
http://dfsim.net/index.php
Under the different CTFs anything marked "easy" is one transmitter, anything marked "intermediate" is two transmitters.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:07 pm

I have a 48 minute long video recorded. It took awhile to get all the moving parts setup beforehand. Unfortunately I think either I did something wrong or there’s a bug to work out - after trying towards the end to look at the built in compass I noticed there was no compass and no info being populated on that page like I’d normally expect. I tried it on google chrome and Firefox. This leads me to believe that although DOA was on that maybe somehow LOBs where not being sent.

I wasn’t able to get RDFMApper to work from the App either. You’ll see the URLS in the video and I didn’t think to look close at them to see if they were sending all info across.

I learned a lot and it’s documented, but I was not able to get an ellipse on the map. I’ll try again! Video will be edited to remove my zero tier account but besides that I’ll leave it raw to learn from.

awdmesh

Post by awdmesh » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:55 pm

I just got back and can confirm that a git clone of the original KerberosSDr software does display the compass page after being started.

If I go checkout either the qt4 or qt5 branch of your version the compass page is not displayed. I think maybe this was part of my problem? Maybe not. I should’ve checked beforehand haha oh well it was a great testing experience. I’ll upload the video soon.