Running KSDR with SSH

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
TomGalletti

Running KSDR with SSH

Post by TomGalletti » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to run my KSDR with a Pi4 in a remote location.

I'm wondering whether I can use SSH to control the KSDR from command line. I'm currently using teamviewer but have found that pretty unreliable, and would ideally be able to setup the KSDR software, sync and start DOA calculations from command line on my home PC.

Is this possible? If not, is it possible to run automatically on startup, without having to manually sync the system as no parameters are changing.

Thanks,
Tom

ckoval7

Re: Running KSDR with SSH

Post by ckoval7 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Is there a reason you're not using the pre-built pi image that already runs the KSDR software on start up? That would be the easiest solution.

The next best thing to do would be to create the file

Code: Select all

/etc/xdg/autostart/kerberos.desktop
with the contents:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Kerberos
NoDisplay=false 
Exec=/home/pi/kerberossdr/run.sh
Now you're just left with the problem of syncing, which isn't reliable without a way to disconnect the antennas from the receiver. Hardware switches aren't hard to build and can be controlled with the GPIO. I have a fork of the KSDR software that can auto-sync if you have RF switches. https://github.com/ckoval7/kerberossdr/ ... witch_ctrl

TomGalletti

Post by TomGalletti » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:26 pm

I am using the pre built Pi image, and the software runs on start up, but still needs manual calibration.

I've had success syncing with the antennas still connected to the receiver (provided no signals are broadcast while syncing), but I still need to Teamviewer into the Pi to set centre frequency, gain, go through the sync process, set the filter BW and then turn on DOA calculation.

Can your script run the startup process (syncing with antennas still connected)? If so I could go through the startup by SSH'ing into my Pi instead of TeamViewer.

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Have you used the web interface to interact with the software? If you're on the same LAN as the KSDR you can browse to http://YourPiIP:8080, which will provide the same level of control as the desktop interface. If you're accessing the pi through a VPN you'll need to change the IP address in run.sh.

Unfortunately the software cannot be controlled over SSH due to it's dependence on the GUI. I've tried to go down the rabbit hole of stripping the GUI out, but it seems like more trouble than its worth.

If you're looking for a syncing script to run you can try: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5856

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 am

TomGalletti wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:26 pm
I am using the pre built Pi image, and the software runs on start up, but still needs manual calibration.

I've had success syncing with the antennas still connected to the receiver (provided no signals are broadcast while syncing), but I still need to Teamviewer into the Pi to set centre frequency, gain, go through the sync process, set the filter BW and then turn on DOA calculation.

Can your script run the startup process (syncing with antennas still connected)? If so I could go through the startup by SSH'ing into my Pi instead of TeamViewer.
You'll need to do the manual calibration regardless of whether or not you use the GUI.

But instead of teamviewer, why not use the web GUI?