Still can't get KSDR working (Raspberry Pi 4)

Discuss KerberosSDR - 4x Coherent RTL-SDR
EIKA

Still can't get KSDR working (Raspberry Pi 4)

Post by EIKA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi all!

I was able to boot Raspberry Pi 1.6.1 image for KSDR. It was not easy as snap of fingers, but I did that without any help from community.
Now, when I got it running and connected external monitor via HDMI, I see Linux Desktop and KSDR software over it.
I can control frequency on Raspberry Pi, can start/stop, but picture is static on both monitor and Android software and Raspberry Pi. Also, there is no Update Rate -ms (web interface are updating, but ms value is missed).

I plugged mouse and keyboard to the Raspberry Pi, but they are not recognized. Keyboard is lit, but inoperable. Tried 2 different mice, but they are both doesn't lit and inoperable.
For this reason I cannot enter any diag commands or even reboot RPI.

All USB cables are good quality ones. Anyway, I changed a lot of them, but sadly no changes.

What's my next step, guys?
Last edited by EIKA on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckoval7

Re: Still can't get KSDR working (Raspberry Pi 4)

Post by ckoval7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Are you providing external power to the KSDR?

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Of course, I am not so stupid to do not do that, and I got some experience during 2 weeks of plays with this toy. E.g. I got it working on laptop first, if you remember my other thread.

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:39 pm

Does this image (1.6.1) supports keyboard and mouse at ll? If YES, even after OS boot (hot plug)?

ckoval7

Post by ckoval7 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:47 am

That image should support everything the standard Raspbian image supports. Everything you're describing there sounds like a power issue with the pi itself.

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:23 pm

What else I can do with power? If I already tried TP Link 3A active USB hub as power adapter, AUKEY 36W USB power adapter (3A+), and 5 different cables - both microUSB for KSDR and Type C for RPU?

And how Raspbian OS works just fine on this RPI? With no any hardware changes? And keyboard works just fine and mouse laser is lit?

Can these symptoms points to the bad boot image viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6296 made of 1.6. KSDR image + fresh boot files?

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Measured voltage between TP1 and TP2 when Raspbian is loaded and keyboard and mouse are connected, is +5.117VDC. Where RPI's FAQ says that good PS can be determined by finding 4.75VDC or above on these test points.

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:16 pm

Got partially working RPI with 1.6.1 image by enabling ssh (put file to the root).
Hardware keyboard and mouse still doesn't work.
But I can login via SSH and work in console mode.
Ethernet port is also works fine and I can do apt-get, etc.
So RPI is fully operational.

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:43 pm

This situation is completely provoked by the KSDR developers and the inaction of technical support! (if it does exist at all - I am not sure) :x

And this is the manual how to fix it!

If you have RPI 4 REV1.4, you're in trouble. RAM size doesn't matter. 2GB boards affected as well. Don't know anything about other revisions.

1. Download 1.6.1 KSDR image and write it to the microSD card. Be ready that it will not boot and show you this error screen:
raps-Unsupported-board-type.jpg
raps-Unsupported-board-type.jpg (223.9 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Don't worry, this is normal for RPI of newer revisions!

2. Download 8 files:

Code: Select all

fixup4.dat
fixup4cd.dat
fixup4db.dat
fixup4x.dat
start4.elf
start4cd.elf
start4db.elf
start4x.elf
from here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot

And copy all files to microSD. Overwrite when asked.

3. Create empty file in root of microSD named ssh (no extension and content doesn't matter)

4. Try to boot your RPI. It must boot with delay and few xhci_hcd errors (can't setup / fail, etc.). But it must boot!

5. Plug Ethernet cable from your router/switch and wait for 10-15 seconds to allow you RPI get configuration from DHCP server. Of course, you LAN must be connected to the Internet.

6. Connect to the RPI via SSH (use Putty, etc). L: pi / P: raspberry

7. Ensure that you have fast microSD card (low end microSD card will take 2-3 times more time) with some free space on it (a few GB will work fine, but AFAIK 600MB will be enough as well).

8. Do:

sudo su
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
systemctl reboot
It will take approx. 40 mins to download and 5-10 mins to install and reboot.

Vuolia, you have fully update Linux with boot/firmware files compatible with REV1.4 RPI.

Now there are no boot errors, but keyboard and mouse is fully operational ;)

P.S.
Keep in mind, that some USB peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.) connected to RPI can prevent it from initial boot (something like BIOS). Unplug all from USB ports to start and plug back after RPI starts blinking fast with green.

P.P.S.
This is my board HW info if you want to compare it with yours:

Hardware        : BCM2711
Revision        : b03114
Serial          : 10000000d3b6d3**
Model           : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
Last edited by EIKA on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

EIKA

Post by EIKA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 pm

KSDR is now working as well and shows 94...205 ms update rate with Spectrum display and below 130 ms with no it.