HackRf Woes

Talk about other SDR products like the FunCube, HackRF, BladeRF etc.
MattSav

HackRf Woes

Post by MattSav » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:48 pm

About 20 years ago I did the uk exam for the ham licence but then life got in the way and I never did any more so I bought myself a HackRf for xmas to have a play with.

Having watched numerous videos etc it seemed like a really good idea so I paid my money (bought the genuine item).

But tbh its been nothing but disappointment ever since!

I've spent days and days trying to get some some software to work properly with it.

I intended to use GNU radio but after trying the Pentoo install (it doesn't seem to include GNU radio as far as I could see) I tried the windows version (worked but various error messages so I gave up after a couple of days)

Next I tried Ubuntu using pybombs to install it (worked but runtime errors so never actually did anything).

Then I tried the VM install (crashed and wiped the boot sector of my hard drive!)

I did get sdr# working with Windows 10 on my work laptop but as soon as you quit the program it gave the blue screen of death so I haven't dared use that again after the hard drive problems with my spare laptop.

Tonight I though I'd play with hackrf spectrum analyser, but that cant find the hack rf, driver installed with zadig, device manger can see it but no joy.

Soooo, do I splash more cash on the portapack and hope to get some use of out that or bin the whole thing completely??

So far I'm £250 and god knows how many hours into it and I'm a bit lost as what to do....

Does anyone have any ideas?

ckoval7

Re: HackRf Woes

Post by ckoval7 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 pm

It sounds like you're trying to dive straight into the deep end without even testing the waters first. I can assure you that Pentoo has gnuradio installed, but going straight for Pentoo isn't the best idea. If you're looking for a more user friendly OS with some pre-built SDR tools check out DragonOS. From there, start with picking up FM stations using GQRX.

The HackRF is a powerful tool, but you're not going to be doing crazy things with it on day one.

One more note, VMs don't handle SDRs very well.