Wonky L-Band patch antenna

Need help installing or figuring out something about your SDR? Ask here.
Lex_Michdrtlsdr

Wonky L-Band patch antenna

Post by Lex_Michdrtlsdr » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:04 pm

lband01.jpg
lband01.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 270 times
lband02.jpg
lband02.jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Just got this in the mail. Ordered from the official store on Aliexpress. Can't hang this outside obviously and it's of no use inside... Let's hope their Aliexpress team isn't the typical Chinese customer service.

Am I the only one that got this Monday morning edition?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Wonky L-Band patch antenna

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:32 am

So unfortunately on the very last 100-200 units made in the first batch of 1000, the factory seems to have made some error in the plastic formulation, or heat treatment of the lids. The bases appear to be fine but there is some unknown percentage of those 100-200 lids that deform at the slightest amount of heat.

If that happens to yours please contact us at [email protected] and we'll be getting the manufacturer to replace and ship you those lids ASAP. It might be about 2 weeks from now until those replacements are ready. Apologies for the hassle.

If you contacted us on Aliexpress that's fine too, we do reply there too.

Lex_Michdrtlsdr

Post by Lex_Michdrtlsdr » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:37 am

Ah, that clears up a lot, I became a statistic, thanks. The seller responded and offered a refund or a new lid. As I will be using this outside permanently (or at least I'm planning to) I will be asking for a new lid.

One problem though, the EU is enforcing new imports tax rules that will have impact on goods sent from outside of the EU as of the 1st of July (so goods under $20 aren't free anymore). Of course my lid will come in after that, so that will result in the shipping company to add a €15 handling fee to anything coming in after the 1st. Are you aware of these rules? Is there some kind of exemption for replacement parts? Is there some kind of solution for ordering in the future? Maybe I'm misinformed and all is well, I get used to it.

I guess the antenna can be used without the lid, so I'll go and try it out. Thanks again for clearing it up.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 pm

I believe that they will set value the value below $1 which is the new threshold, and labelled as a free warranty replacement. So that should not be taxed. It will ship with Fedex or we'll import the replacement locally to the EU first and pay any taxes then. If something goes wrong with the tax and you're charged for no reason, then we'll just reimburse.

Lex_Michdrtlsdr

Post by Lex_Michdrtlsdr » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:22 am

Top service! I hope the rest of the plastics will turn out good. And I hope we can still get our hands on a V3 (or V4 or whatever innovation you have planned) in the future.