rtl-sdr V3 not receiving what I should be receiving

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
n2rga

rtl-sdr V3 not receiving what I should be receiving

Post by n2rga » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:27 am

rtl-sdr V3 not receiving what I should be receiving. (Out of Tune Really Bad) I made sure I installed the correct Driver with zadig.exe in admin mode.
When first installing Air Spy SDR I switched to the Direct sampling Q branch and it worked fine
Then I upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 I tried to use Air Spy for the CB Band and tune in to some stations and could not hear what was playing on the frequencies I was on, I started receiving Chinese, and some other foreign stations talking and then someone like they were on the phone. this was on the CB band I was comparing it to a CB for the CB Band. FM radio stations were not readable at all. I also tried HF and compared it to my FT-991a and was not receiving what I should be receiving.
I have Direct sampling Q branch selected.
As an example in between the C.B. Band and Ham Band on 27.790 Mhz I'm receiving 1010 Wins freq 1010 AM Radio
I don't think it had anything to do with Updating to WIN 11. I was also trying to get Fusion, C4FM while on windows 10 and Installing all kinds of stuff DSDPlus1p101, etc.
What do you think the problem is?
Should I wipe the programs and start over?

Mitch

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: rtl-sdr V3 not receiving what I should be receiving

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm

For the CB band it's best to use quadrature sampling mode so that you avoid the direct sampling Nyquist issue which results in the AM band folding on top of the CB band.

n2rga

Post by n2rga » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Tried quadrature while it gets rid of the AM stations it goes silent.
I ordered a 6 inch USB A to B so I can use the USB 2.0 port in the back every other port is a USB 3.0 port.
I want to see if that makes a difference

Mitch

n2rga

Post by n2rga » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Found a short USB a to B put it in a USB 2.0 Port made no difference. Still Deaf.
I did her so CBers that were doing a pin job on my radio. but on the SDR / AirSpy SDR#, it's really low and don't hear some of the people on the radio.
I have a discone about the same level of my AV640 I switched to my AV-640 and WOW what a difference the SDR is Deaf with the discone antenna and with the AV-640 comes alive.
I can't afford another antenna. so I think I'm going to sell the Setup.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:06 am

The discone is wideband, so probably receiving broadcast FM very strongly. That can desensitize the dongle on other frequencies due to overload. A tuned antenna, or filtering can definitely help.