rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SDR byBA5SBA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:49 pm 

I am now in possession of a new RTS SDR by BA5SBA (it is dated2015.11.11) and very different from others by the same manufacturer (Picture attached)I am very happy with the U/VHF side and get good reception. However on the HF side all i can get is AM radio stations (Talksport and Absolute Radio being the promonent) which seem to keep repeating them selves. I have a 92 ft DiPole antenna. I would really like to listen to some frequencies around the 5505kHz. Can anyone please help. I have Q Brance selected and have tried playing with gains and bits but no success on anything but AM. I have a picture if anyone would like it emailed to them.

Thank you in advance for any help.....

Steve

Attachments:
rtl sdr board.jpg
rtl sdr board.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 4034 times ]

Post subject: Re: SDR byBA5SBA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like it's working properly if you can receive AM radio. By reapting themselves, do you mean that you see them at multiple frequencies? One thing to note is that the HF performance on those units is not great, but should be enough for most decently strong signals. But there are a few possibilities to improve it:

1. The AM stations might be too strong and are overloading the receiver causing bad reception on other frequencies. This is probably especially the case if you are seeing AM stations at multiple frequencies. The fix for this is to buy or build a AM broadcast band blocking filter. Or build a bandpass filter for the frequencies you are interested in.

2. Your antenna just isn't tuned to the frequency you want to listen to, or your signal is very weak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:23 am 

Tank you for the reply. Yes i am getting these stations on multiple frequencies, and last night also picked up some American and Chinese stations. Would a different Antenna design change anything??? I will investigate AM Blocker. Iys the HF air band i am interested in listening to. As an ex ATC is just an interest of mine..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:57 am 
Site Admin

Yeah if its showing up on many frequencies then the AM band is overloading and when that happens the original station can show up on other frequencies too, while making the sensitivity for other stations very bad. Usually not a major problem with an upconverter as you can simply turn down the gain, but with a direct sampling receiver the gain is fixed. But the best solution is to block out the AM bands with a blocker.

Different antenna might help. If you can find or make a narrowband one tuned only for the frequency you are interested in it would help. Perhaps a magnetic loop antenna is what you need.