Thanks to RTL-SDR.com reader M Kizan who notified us about a Python based digital signal reverse engineering software program called ‘Universal Radio Hacker’ which is developed by Johannes Pohl. The software supports hardware interfaces for SDRs such as the RTL-SDR and HackRF and can be run on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
The Universal Radio Hacker is a software for investigating unknown wireless protocols. Features include
- hardware interfaces for common Software Defined Radios
- easy demodulation of signals
- assigning participants to keep overview of your data
- customizable decodings to crack even sophisticated
- encodings like CC1101 data whitening
- assign labels to reveal the logic of the protocol
- fuzzing component to find security leaks
- modulation support to inject the data back into the system
Johannes has also uploaded four tutorial videos to YouTube which show the software in action. In the videos he uses Universal Radio Hacker to reverse engineer a wirelessly controlled power socket, and then in the last video he uses the software to transmit the reverse engineered signals via a HackRF.