A few weeks ago we posted about the recently uploaded talks listed on the Defcon YouTube channel. However, there is a second YouTube channel dedicated to talks presented as part of the Defcon Aerospace Village which was also held virtually. A number of these talks involve software defined radios and RTL-SDRs and so may be of interest to readers. We have listed a few interesting talks below, but the full list can be found on their YouTube channel.
- A Deeper Dive into ILS and ADS-B Spoofing - Harshad Sathaye discusses weaknesses in the security of the Instrument Landing System and ADS-B and how these can be spoofed.
- TCAS and ILS Spoofing Demonstration - Alex Lomas demonstrates TCAS (collision avoidance) and ILS spoofing on an aircraft simulator
- Introduction to ACARS - Alex Lomas explains aircraft ACARS text messages in detail and discusses receiving them with an RTL-SDR
- Low-Cost VHF Receiver - Alan Tart, Fabian Landis show how to build a low cost VHF airband receiver from an RTL-SDR, Raspberry Pi and the RTLSDR-Airband software.
- Software-Defined Radios for Aerospace Cyber (Aerospace Village Badge) - Prof Rick Hansen discusses the various uses SDRs have when it comes to Aerospace monitoring.
- Talking to Satellites - Eric Escobar discusses antennas, radios and software for talking to amateur radio satellites.
- Simulated Satellite Communications on Raspberry Pi - Eric Escobar discusses using PiFM as a cheap transmitter for emulating satellites when testing ground stations.