SDR++ is an open source program compatible with most software defined radios including the RTL-SDR that has been going through rapid development making it now one of the top software choices.
Yesterday a public 'pre-release' Android version of SDR++ was made available for download. The release is announced as a 'pre-release' due to various bugs still existing. However, we note that we have been testing a private release for the past few weeks, and we can say that it is working great most of the time. The Android App replicates most of the desktop experience perfectly, and it operates very smoothly on most modern devices.
The author Alexandre Rouma writes:
I'm happy to release the first public pre-release of SDR++ for android. It's still quite early and has a few bugs and quirks that you might run into:
- SDR MUST be plugged in before starting SDR++ and you MUST press refresh in the SDR source you're using before pressing play if you first plugged in the SDR or unplugged/replugged, otherwise expect a crash. The USB handling still needs some work.
- There are still a few UI glitches
- There is no easy way to select a path for recording or file for playback
- The audio sink on Android may have higher latency
- All menus sometimes close when app goes in the background.
- Resizing the menu and/or waterfall is kinda fiddly, be precise when trying to grab the resize bar!!!
- At some size menu sizes, the app crashes. If this happens, start in landscape
- On Samsung devices, the keyboard doesn't always work for some obscure reason...
- Android 9.0
- OpenGL 2.1
Since phones usually have a high screen resolution, set the DPI scaling in the Display menu or you'll have a hard time using the app.
Current Device/Protocol Support:
- Airspy HF+
- PlutoSDR (network only)
- SDR++ Server
In any case, I'd love to get some feedback on it, so feel free to try it out and let me know!
PS: If you like this work, feel free to support me on Patreon, since putting it on the App Store won't be cheap and I want to make sure it's completely free with no ads!