Over on YouTube Tech Minds has uploaded his latest video that shows how to easily update the firmware on Airspy R2 and Mini units. The Airspy R2 ($169) and Airspy Mini ($99) are two software defined radios that can be considered a step up from an RTL-SDR in terms of performance and price. Recently the Airspy developer updated the firmware, and we show the changelog below.
This release improves the overall phase noise, tuning accuracy, dynamic range and spur responses.
- More accurate R820T/2 tuning.
- Fast R820T/2 register update by only sending the actual changes. Useful for fast scanning.
- The R820T/2 reference clock is now fed directly from the 25 MHz TCXO. No noise contribution from PLL_A at all when using the internal TCXO.
- The MCU and ADC reference clock is now using PLL_B of Si5351 in Integer mode with power of two dividers.
- EXT_CLK now feeds PLL_A for the R820T/2 and PLL_B for the LPC4370 with optimal Integer Mode and power of two dividers.
- Drive level reduced to 2mA per clock. This significantly reduces the spurs.
Tech Mind's YouTube video shows us how to check the current firmware installed, how to download the latest firmware, and finally how to actually flash the new firmware.