A new UK designed and manufactured upconverter that goes by the name SDR(X) has recently become available for purchase. This upconverter connects to a RTL-SDR dongle and allows it to receive from 100 kHz up till 1850 MHz. Some of its features include:
- Four user selectable HF pre-filters (0-2, 2-6, 6-11 and 11 to 30MHz) or single 0-30MHz pre-filter.
- Band pass filter after mixer and band pass filter after Oscillator
- User selectable MMIC 18db amplifier external to RTL chip set (lower noise level, than RTL chip and compensates for pre-filters).
- User selectable HF and VHF/UHF mode (HF 0-30MHz, VHF/UHF mode 24MHz to 1850MHz).
- Microchip PIC controller for above.
- Diode protection on RF input.
The board comes as a prebuilt kit which is currently selling for 79.95 GBP which includes an RTL-SDR dongle. The device also comes with complete documentation. The SDR(X) can be purchased from 6v6.co.uk.